Fearless (A Mulan Retelling)- squigmo

I am ssssssso sooorry I haven't updated in agggeess, but here is a book I recommend for you to never disregard!!!

Fearless (A Mulan Retelling)- squigmo

For the entirety of her life, Iris Gwenneth has known the words 'loss' and 'exclusion' all to well. With a dead mother and a broken engagement... Iris's father is the only one she has left.

However, when their country is attacked by fearful adversaries, and one man from every family is forced to join the army, Iris learns that she may just lose him as well. That is, unless someone takes her father's place...

In a tale of adventure, friendship, and sacrifice, Iris will discover what it means to be courageous... to find the strength to do what is right, even if means breaking the laws of her country. She will also find that loving someone can mean giving up everything for them... even giving up life itself. And lastly, she will learn that if one masquerades as a soldier for too long...

That person might just become one.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3     12/10 hearts     

Now, you may know that I love Disney, I have to tell you that Mulan has to be one of my all time favourites. Not only does this book show you what huge changes people go through in finding themselves, it shows you that you can be a strong independent person even if you never used to feel like you were. I love the whole 'I'm my own independent woman' image, though Iris doesn't show it at the beginning, she may truly be who she became underneath, it just never reached the surface. Iris is a character I love, even though she knows she probably won't survive in the army and the consequences of her gender being revealed are dire, she goes through with it, just to save her father's life. That is a completely selfless action to follow through with, and not only does she follow through with it, she achieves that objective with flying colours. It doesn't hurt that along the way she falls in love and saves all of china in the act of saving her father, then she realises that perhaps it wasn't just for her father she went, that she was trying to find herself all along. This retelling is beautifully written and an amazing reconstruction of the original, give yourself a pat on the back squigmo because you deserve it, this book compels you to stand strong, try something out of your comfort zone, and to never forget what's important. A fantastically diverse and original spin on the tale of Mulan. I FREAKING LUUURRRVVVEE THIS BOOK AND HOPE YOU CONTINUE WITH YOUR BEAUTY AND THE BEAST RETELLING BECAUSE I CAN TELL IT'S GOING TO BE FABULOUS!!!

Okay, enough fangirling for today.....

To the windows, to the walls, to the sweat drops down my......JELLYBEANS!

-Ally xx