Gerard's Decision

"All systems go." 

The atmosphere inside the research lab of the Aegis seemed quite upbeat in spite of the serious events the city is facing. This was all thanks to Emi, who settled down on her desk after giving out some instructions. 

"About yesterday's communications problem..."

Emi glanced back upon hearing Yukiko, who had a slight sense of worry in her tone. She shrugged and let out a small, relaxed laugh. 

"There are no problems right now. Well, if they decide to do some funny business with our communication lines, then... nothing we can really do about it."

"How can you be so laid back about that? Isn't there anything we can do?" Yukiko's face had a disappointed look, yet she showed restraint in her tone. 

"Well, that certainly keeps us motivated to get as much we can do in this small window of opportunity, don't you think?"

"You do have a point there... Well, what about Ren-chi?"

"We have yet to receive his reports regarding the church's possible key locations. I figured out that they might be hiding something, and I'm sure that he'll notify me in case something comes up."

"Here we go! All done!" In the middle of the conversation, Professor Beckett got up from his rolling chair and handed a piece of paper to Emi. The woman known as the head researcher of the Aegis took the paper and looked at it with interest. The small font made it quite difficult to read, but she was managing to read it.

"Your experience really showed this time, professor. We certainly will not regret having you around."

Yukiko flashed a gentle smirk at Emi's remark. "That's a Shiratori professor for you." 

Emi looked at Beckett's paper once more and carefully studied its contents. "Say, you claimed that most casualties in the southern district involved shapeshifters, elementalists, and summoners. Are there any other chances of others getting involved? In case you didn't know already, they're not the only residents who came from the other world."

"That data is from the southern district. I haven't completed the analysis of the case from Central Park, so I cannot be a hundred percent certain if there are others involved. Allow me to get back to work."

"You really love that job we gave, didn't you." Emi chuckled before dismissing Beckett.  As Beckett started to leave, she suddenly asked him one last question.

"Any Shiratori faculty involved with the incident?"

Beckett paused. It seemed that he took a while to gather his thoughts before mustering a reply. "Everyone's fine. No need to worry. It's just that.... we have lost all contact on Aldra since last night."

"Aldra?"

"The one who's handling classes on magic. He's also the best caster in the school the last time I was there." Yukiko answered in place of Beckett.

"Then this opens up a whole new set of questions. Looks like it's time to do a background check on this guy."

~~~~~

It's early afternoon, and as school continued to be suspended amidst the ongoing turmoil, Yura proceeded to the job she was assigned yesterday. The one which she was assigned to, along with...

"That guy... He's really irresponsible, you know that?"

Yura slumped her head into her arms, both which are rested on the railings of a footbridge. Her gaze shot forward, settling on the buildings and infrastructures in possibly the busiest district of Arcadia. Unlike the southern district, it would seem impossible for a non-robbery attack to target this sector.