Heartseeker

"What was that all about? Explain yourself, Dmitri!" 

Sheryl, the female professor who accompanied the students in Iruka Island, hurried and tried to catch up to Icaros after the latter made his abrupt exit. The loud thumping of her steps echoed the quiet hall just outside the auditorium. 

Icaros turned around and swung his arms out. "Explain what? I asked permission from you in Iruka Island about giving a public farewell, and I did just that."

His facial expression, being a very regretful and upset facial expression seconds ago, now transformed into his typical laid-back and smug expression.

"All I did was put on one hell of a show out of it. Problem?"

"That's just not right. You should know better than that, being Mr. Student Council President."

"Meh, I was the president of that certain group. What's the point of putting up the same respectable act now that I'm gone from this place? My only affiliation and destination now is Accenture. See ya"

He threw his hand up for a wave-like gesture.

"Oh, and in case you don't know. I'm one hell of an actor. I think I played my part well enough, didn't I?"

Sheryl tried to stop him, but held back and merely shook her head, watching as Icaros threw his school ID away and slowly walked from sight, presumably for good.

Back in the auditorium, Yura found herself surrounded by a lot of uneasy murmuring. Leanne, who was beside her, just sat in place, wide-eyed and quiet. Then she started murmuring and echoing the general sentiment going on around the room....

~~~~~~

Afternoon

"My, today's been quite eventful, right?" asked Yura.

She asked that question to Leanne, who she was walking with, on their way out of school just as the last class for the day finished. 

"He can't..."

"Uh, Leanne... That was hours ago!" Yura stared at her friend with an uncomfortable expression, knowing full well what she's thinking.

"Why would he do this? How could he just leave everyone like that? What did we ever do?" 

Yura sighed. Just as she was going to talk some more, she was interrupted by her cellphone's message alert tone. Leanne saw her open and read the message, and slowly turned away as Yura finished. 

"Yura.. you can go on ahead."

Yura turned in response. "Huh?"

"Don't worry about me. Even before being selected by Shiratori Academy, I have known and admired Icaros. But now..."

All of a sudden, Leanne had her happy grin back on. "Actually, never mind. It's just too sudden for me, and I don't have something like the Aegis to keep me too pre-occupied. That's someone calling you to work, right? Don't keep them waiting!"

Yura thought about it, then agreed. The two went their separate ways at the school gate.

~~~~~

The automatic doors slid open, giving Yura access to the largest section in the underground of the Aegis headquarters. Yura stepped inside and walked past the several researchers and workers busy at work. She headed straight for Emi's research desk. 

Emi seemed to have telegraphed her approach and abruptly turned around. That, coupled with a sudden shout of "Boo!" startled Yura a bit, much to the scientist's amusement.