Shiratori Festival

"The appearances have increased over the past week, and starting the other day, those who saw the ghost immediately fell into a coma. Commander has not issued any order yet. I think the incident with the Investigation Team days ago intimidated him."

Emi put aside a rolled up newspaper and crossed her legs. After taking a few sips, she stirred some sugar cubes into her coffee. "Thanks for the invite, although I have to say that I'm not too fond of coffee."

"Well, this is my drink of choice when I need to think," replied Ren, who drank from his mug. "With the rate I buy their stuff here, they are also giving me discounts. Can't say no to that."

A small map has been laid out across the table which the two shared. 

"Hmm, what's with all those markings? It's just not like you to be so messy with your diagrams," pointed out Emi.

"Don't mind that please. It's... got something to do with that event with Accenture. My teammate... let's just say she's quite the handful to be with."

Ren grabbed a pen and started drawing a line from a spot on the northern side of Arcadia. Afterwards, he connected it to another spot, which is on the eastof the first marked spot. Ren continued tracing lines from one spot to another.

"So, you're connecting the spots based on the date the sightings happened, right?"

Ren continued connecting the spots without making a sound. Emi's eyes widened as she started to see a pattern and nodded, The pattern ended up being a spiral that slowly makes its way to the center of the city map.

"Your face tells me that you see the pattern."

"Yes, I do. In fact, this is something my team has observed, and your similar observation supported our theory. Now, one thing we don't really understand. Five nights ago, when Investigation Team made their move, the people who saw the ghost started falling into comas."

"I don't think it's mere coincidence too." Ren calmly finished his coffee and laid his mug on the table. His somewhat narrow eyes narrowed even more as he went into thinking.

"Two things I observed. First, it seems that the ghost, whatever it is, does not have full control of his powers here. People only fell into coma, while seeing the ghost near El Aldo killed people outright."

"And the second thing?" asked Emi, putting down her coffee mug as well. She took two sips before giving up and leaving the drink unfinished. 

"I think something must have triggered its increase in power. After observing the victims, I conclude that the Pale Phantom attacks victims with a curse. Something last Friday night caused the curse to activate. I wonder what it can be?"

"Well, I guess that closes the case for now, I have to prepare to attend your school's festival tomorrow." Emi grabbed her bag and stood up. "You really should join the Aegis. We'd be glad to have someone like you rounding out the team."

"I humbly decline that offer."

Ren gave a small smile while Emi turned around, ready to leave. 

"By the way, how's Jet doing. Is he holding up fine?"

"Of course he is. While no supernatural cases have been reported besides this ghost, he's been having his share of guardian work. He's working well with Yura, too. They've gotten closer, I'd say."

Emi replied rather confidently, but Ren's reply took things to a far more serious tone.

"I humbly ask you to stop playing dumb. I'm sure you knew what I meant."

Emi fell silent before turning her head towards Ren. 

"And I'm sure Jet wouldn't want anyone talking about it, especially in public."