Chapter 28

"Should we go now?" Nash asked, holding his palm up to his face, forehead wrinkled as he examined the rock in his hand. We were wallowing on the shore, sun bathing after we finished our lunch. The air between us had somehow shifted. After we kissed, it seemed so different between us. We had been flirty but now it was full on feelings I felt for him. I couldn't see him as just some cute guy that I flirted with. His image in my mind completely changed.

I could no longer categorize him into the crush section along with Sam and that cute guy from my study hall. I mean, Sam wasn't just a crush but I had been realistic in thinking that we could never be anything more than friends so I placed him in a box: a box of guys I liked but knew I'd never have anything with. As much as I loved Sam, I could never allow myself to believe I ever had a chance. The same was said for Nash and any other guy who I liked. I always had such low confidence that I wouldn't believe a guy would ever like me back.

But that kiss... It sort of changed everything. Nash had initiated the kiss which meant he wanted to kiss me. For once I could believe that a guy liked me back because I didn't make the first move, Nash did. I was still in shock, as I glanced over at him. He was sitting, leaned back on his arms, elbows digging into the sand under his weight. His hair was wet and clung to his forehead. I reached up and ran my fingers through it, ruffling it before I pulled my hand away, looking up and admiring my work. His hair was now strewn about his head in a floppy mess.

He looked over at me, a cocky grin held by his full lips. His tongue darted out to wet them and I looked away, not wanting to be caught staring at them for too long. "Is that a yes or no?" he asked, nudging me with his shoulder. "Whenever you want to go." I mumbled, drawing a flower in the sand between us. His hand covered mine, squeezing softly. "Do you regret it?" He whispered, thumb running over the back of my hand.

"Regret what?" I asked, looking up at him. "The kiss." He said quietly. I didn't know why he thought I would ever regret it. I had assumed he'd be the one to regret kissing me, not the other way around. I couldn't exactly pinpoint the reason, but Nash always seemed unsure about his actions. "Why would I regret kissing you?" I asked, shifting so I could lean against him. I scooted until my thigh was against his and I leaned my head on his shoulder.

"I don't know, It's just that I know it was your first and... I know girls like it to be special." He spoke nervously, shrugging slightly as he ran his fingers through his hair. He was always doing that. "It was special. I wouldn't take it back." I admitted, "If anything, I'd do it again." I flashed a flirty grin at him, hoping he'd get the idea and kiss me again.

Where is all this confidence coming from?

He leaned in, humming when his face was right in front of mine. His eyes fluttered shut and so did mine. I could feel his lips bush over mine, the heat radiating off of them, but he wouldn't kiss me, not properly. I tilted my face up a little more, making it a less awkward position with him leaning down so much. He picked his hand up and cupped my chin pulling my face towards him, making our lips smash together. His lips puckered slightly before he pulled away, giving me nothing but a light peck. I opened my eyes and was greeted by a cheeky grin.

"You think you're funny don't you." I breathed, lips tingling because his face was still so close and I could feel his breath on them.

"Yup." He said, moving his hand to place it on my waist. His fingers purposefully brushed my exposed stomach and I shuddered. That's when I heard them. They were having a loud conversation, laughter echoing around as they reached the end of the trail that lead to the clearing of the lake. I imagined how we looked. His face so close that I could feel his breath, his hand on my waist, mine on his bicep. Him leaning over me so that he could support me in his embrace.