Chapter 40

"It's Luke. He's in the ER."

I felt my entire body become frozen as I just stared at Michael with wide eyes. Nothing of mine could function properly and I wasn't able to form any words to say.

Michael bit his bottom lip as he tried to get me to move.

Just that one push was enough to make me run back to my car.

Luke needs me. I have to be there for him. I have to make sure he's okay.

I ran right past Louis while I was making my way out of the school to the student parking lot. He had a confused look on his face when he saw I was running his direction, but at the moment I didn't give two shits if Louis was going to kill me. Luke's way more important right now.

Harry was still by the car and he noticed me coming closer and he ran over to me.

"Ash, what's wrong? Why are you-" I ignored Harry and tried to open my car door, but found that it was locked and my keys were inside.

"SHIT!" I cursed out loud, banging my fist against the window. My spare car keys were at home and my place is about a ten minute drive from school. It's going to take me an hour to walk home and another hour to walk back here and I don't have the patience right now. I have to see Luke!

"What the hell was that?!" I heard Louis shout, but I was too upset at myself for locking myself out of my own car at a time like this. "Wait 'til I get my hands around your throat-"

"NO! Fuck you, Louis!" I shouted. "I don't give a flying shit about you murdering me right now! My boyfriend is in the hospital and I have no way of getting to him on time, because I was so goddamn stupid for leaving my keys in the car and getting myself locked out!"

"Wait, Luke's in the hospital?" I heard Harry ask. I punched my car window in anger, folded my arms on top of the hood and pressed my face against my arms.

"Luke's in the ER right now," I said, tears forming in my eyes, "and I need to get to him." Anger started boiling in me again and I was practically trying to beat up my own car, kicking it and punching it a number of times. "I'm so fucking stupid for locking my fucking keys in the car!"

"Ash, stop!" Harry cried out, running over to me and pulling my arms back. I tried resisting and pulling myself out of his grip, but then I just stopped and... broke.

I fell to the ground and just let my tears run and ugly sobs to escape from my throat. Harry wrapped his arms around me and tried to comfort me, but as long as I've no idea what condition Luke's in I'm not going to be fine at all.

"That call earlier, Haz, it was Mikey," I explained to Harry. "He was trying to tell us about Luke, but..." I wasn't able to finish my sentence before I started crying into his chest.

"Luke's going to be fine," he whispered, rubbing circles into my back. "He has to be fine."

"I'll take us all to the hospital." My teary eyes looked towards Louis who was looking at me, seeming sorry and guilty, but I didn't need any sympathy from him.

"That would help very much, Lou," Harry said. I saw Michael running towards us and then he stopped right beside Louis. Harry turned to Michael. "What hospital is Luke in?"

"At the hospital that's only a kilometre away," he said. "I forget what it's called, but that's where Luke is."

"I know the place you're talking about," Louis said and he sent a smile my way and I couldn't help but give a weak one back. Harry helped me up as Louis and Michael got into the front seats of the car. I went into the backseat first before Harry followed behind me. I sat by the window while Harry was seated beside me so that way he could hold me in his arms.

"So where's Calum?" Harry asked.

"He went with Luke when the ambulance arrived," Michael answered.

"Do you know what happened to Luke?"

"I don't know. The football team were just having practice and suddenly... Luke just collapsed and he was completely passed out. Someone called the paramedics and they had to take him to the hospital. They used an oxygen mask on him and everything!"

"Don't say anymore, please," I begged as I pressed my face to Harry's shoulder and he had an arm draped around me, his other arm pulling me closer to him.

"Luke's going to be okay, Ash," Harry said after I sniffled a couple of times. "He has to be okay for you."

I wish Luke would be okay. I don't know what I would do without him.

The drive seemed like it took forever and Harry suggested to Louis that he stopped in front of the hospital so that Harry and I could run in first to see if we could find out what's happened to Luke. So once Louis stopped the car I opened my side and darted out of the car, going straight for the hospital entrance with Harry right behind me.

I ran up to the receptionist who looked annoyingly calm as she was sorting out some papers on her desk.

"Luke Hemmings! Where is he?!" I exclaimed. She looked up at me and readjusted her glasses.

"Mr. Hemmings isn't allowed to have visitors at the moment," she responded. "He's being taken care of as we speak. Please go to the waiting room and patiently wait until a doctor comes to tell you any news regarding Mr. Hemmings."

"Do you at least know what happened to him?" Harry asked.

"The doctor will tell you."

I had no choice. I can't just run inside and look through every room just to find Luke. I'll have to wait for him. I refuse to leave this hospital until I see my Luke.

Harry led me to the the waiting room and there I saw Calum, sitting in his seat while using his phone. I went over to him and stood in front of him. His eyes looked from his phone and up at me.

"Ashton!" he exclaimed, jumping out of his seat. "It's a good thing you came here as fast as you could. Were you crying?"

"Please tell me you know what happened to him," I pleaded, grasping Calum by the shoulders. "Do you think he's going to be okay? I have to know he'll be okay!"

"I can't say that I know." I felt the tears well up in my eyes and I was about to break down into more sobs again. "B-But whatever happened to Luke can't be that bad. I mean, Luke's just a teenager. He can't die. Not after he finally got you."

Death doesn't care about how old someone is. Everyone has a chance of dying and right now I'm scared that Luke might be in Death's hands.

Louis and Michael finally came into the waiting room and went over to us. Louis went beside Harry and the two just hugged each other. I wish I could hug my Luke right now.

Michael stood next to Calum and the two stared into each other's eyes for a moment before they both sat down, leaving an empty seat in between the two for me to sit. I took the seat and pulled my knees up to my chest, pressing my lips against them and wrapping my arms around my legs.

Please, Luke. Please be okay. Don't die on me. I need you.

Every time a doctor came into the room I prayed that he'd ask for anyone who was here for Luke, but none of them ever called his name and my heart would just sink to the pit of my stomach. Michael let me rest my head against his shoulder and he had his arm over my shoulder.

What seemed like an eternity when reality it was only two hours the moment that I've been waiting for and dreaded most finally came.

A doctor walked into the waiting room with a clipboard in her hands and asked, "Who is here for Mr. Luke Hemmings?"