Chapter 28

Luke and I returned to the dining room with the knife pointing down and in my hand. I set it beside the cake that was already filled with eighteen lit candles. Harry sat in front of the cake, his hands clasped together in his lap as he stared at the flames. Louis was behind Harry and had his arms around his neck. His nose was no longer bleeding, that's good.

Luke sat at one side of the table and he pulled me onto his lap, his arms securely around my waist. I felt some butterflies in my stomach when his hold tightened around me. It just felt so nice.

Niall sat on the other side of me and Luke and Michael sat across from Harry. Calum was standing behind Michael, his elbow resting on his shoulder.

Liam and Zayn were standing behind Michael and Calum while Anne and Gemma were behind Niall.

"Okay, let's sing!" Niall exclaimed. "I want cake already!"

"If you're going to sing, do it well," Harry laughed, sticking his tongue out at him. Niall just rolled his eyes and we all proceeded to sing happy birthday to Harry.

After finishing the song everyone began clapping and Louis planted a kiss on Harry's cheek, causing the curly haired Brit to giggle. Zayn and Michael began howling and Niall was making kissing noises.

"Make a wish," Anne said, and Harry closed his eyes. The room fell silent, like if we were all quiet enough we could hear what Harry was wishing for. Then his eyes opened and he blew out the eighteen candles. Everyone was cheering and clapping really loudly. Gemma walked out of the dining room to get plates and forks.

"Yay, you're eighteen and old!" Niall exclaimed.

"Mate, you're already eighteen," Zayn reminded.

"Yeah, I'm a grandpa."

"Hey!" Louis frowned, but he began laughing. "There are older people, you know." Once Gemma came back, Niall just smirked at Louis.

"Shut up and let's eat cake."

Harry picked up the knife and began cutting the cake into eleven pieces. Everyone was given cake and they all went into the living room except for me and Luke. We stayed right where we are, but mainly because Luke didn't feel like getting up or letting me go. His excuse was that he was too comfortable.

I had my piece of cake in my hands while Luke's was on the table, one arm still around me while his hand of the other arm held a fork. Luke was poking at his slice, obviously debating whether or not he should eat it.

I set my plate down and began moving off of his lap, but he held onto me tighter.

"Where do you think you're going?" he asked, looking up at me.

"I think I'm going to stand," I answered, smiling cheekily.

"Standing's too tiring to do. That's why you should sit on my lap."

"I can sit on the other seats."

"But my lap is better than those chairs."

"They're pretty comfortable."

Luke pouted. "Am I not comfy?"

"Are you seriously getting jealous over chairs?" When his eyes averted from mine, I laughed. "Okay, fine. Have it your way." Luke glanced back up at me and grinned before he resumed to poking at the cake again.

It doesn't seem like he's having an easy time.

"If you can't eat it, you don't have to," I told him, but he just shook his head.

"No, I can do this," he huffed, stabbing a piece from the cake and hesitantly bringing it up to his mouth.

"Don't push yourself. Take baby steps."