Chapter 13

Hehehe... (insert sheepish smile here.) I missed you guys! Sorry I left you hanging for so long. The past months were really rough for me. I had to do our thesis which takes up most of my time and with the family problem that we faced the past months, I wasn't really tuned to write anything. I apologize for that. But now, we finally have our three-week school break so YAAAAYYYY! I can update more often now. ;) Trust me guys! I really am planning on updating more often now since I think I pissed some of you because of the long wait. hahaha! Anyway, I hope you enjoy this one! ;))

~~~~~

"Maybe I should just eat at the library." I suggested as Abby and I are about to make our way to lunch. I am scared to enter that room full of students for quite a few reasons today. First, I do not want to be the subject of everyone's staring and whispering because of that stupid picture. Second, I sort of don't want to see James. And there's also the chance of seeing Jess and him asking why I was out on what looked like a date with James when we aren't supposed to date the students we tutor. And of course, yes, the most scary of all, I feel guilty about lying to Josh. I both don't want to see his betrayed and hurt face or his angry face.

"Don't be ridiculous! You can't eat at the library. The library witch will kill you." Abby rolled her eyes at me.

"I'd rather the librarian kill me than face your brother." I muttered.

"Just get over it, okay? I'm sure Josh isn't that mad."

"Easy for you to say." I sighed. "And you're not helping."

"Let's just go to lunch, okay? We'll see then at how angry Josh is." Abby winked at me while I groaned. So I gathered all my courage and hoped that facing Josh now would lessen my guilt and his anger at me for lying right to his face.

I entered the lunch room staring the floor and with everyone inside staring at me. So, indeed, the picture of me and James reached the whole student population of the school. Great!

Abby and I headed straight to our usual table. She walked head up high and I actually think that she enjoys the attention. While I walked as fast as I could and ducked my head as low as I can. Our table was empty. No sign of Josh. Part of me was actually relieved while the other half was of course more anxious. And so I waited for Josh to arrive and dump me his judgement or whatsoever. But five minutes passed. Ten. Then fifteen. Still no Josh. Why isn't he coming?

"Why is your brother not here yet?" I asked Abby who took my apple from my tray as I was not touching any of my food.

She raised an eyebrow at me. "And I thought you didn't want to see him?"

I groaned. "I don't know. It makes me nervous even more than he's not showing up."

"Maybe he's just not hungry." She shrugged.

I rolled my eyes at her. "Yeah, right. I'm out of here."

"What? Wait! Where are you going?" Abby asked.

"Just around. The library. I'm not hungry anyway."

"Are you sure?"

I nodded and walked out of the cafeteria as fast as I can.

Maybe I should just go home. At least there, there aren't  gonna be gossip-hungry eyes who'll follow me around. In the first place, how can I be so stupid to lie to Josh? Or rather, how can I be so dumb to even go on that beach trip with James? And above everything else, just how did my life became this complicated?

"Megan?"

I turned around to see Jess looking at me. Great! Just another person I was hoping to avoid.

"Hey, Jess." I said weakly.

"What are you doing here? Lunch isn't over yet, right?"

I shrugged. "I'm out now, aren't I?"

He frowned. "What?"

"You're gonna fire me from the tutoring, right?" I sighed. "I mean, I'm pretty sure you did see the pictures. And I swear it wasn't a date. But I do remember a rule about student tutors being discouraged from being involved with their students. And I'm sorry. But it really wasn't like that."

"I wasn't gonna dismiss you from tutoring." Jess chuckled. "Besides, I may be in-charged, but I don't do the dismissing. The principal does. And you said so yourself, it wasn't a date."

"And you believe me?" I asked in disbelief.

"Of course." Jess sounded a little hurt by my question. "I trust you after all.

I sighed in relief. At least, there's another person in the whole school besides Abby who believes me. "So, where are you heading to?"

"I was actually gonna grab some lunch at that nearby pizza place. Wanna come?"

"Sure." I agreed. It's the least I could do for him trusting me.

"Great. Come on. I'm already starving."

I laughed as Jess opened the door for me. My laugh stopped short though as there, right in front of us stood Josh.