Chapter 30

The next day, I was surprised to see Josh standing in my driveway. But what surprised me the most was the cut on his lip that wasn't there the night before when he came to talk.

"I want to ask what you're doing here but right now I'd rather know first what happened to your lip? D-Did you get in a fight last night?" I asked.

Josh grinned and scratched the back of his head. He looked embarrassed. "Well, uh, your boyfriend punched me."

My eyes widened in surprise. James punched him?

"Wait!" He said before I could open my mouth to say something. "Before you say anything, know that I probably deserve this. Although he did hit me harder than I expected. James sure does give one hell of a punch. But I guess that's a natural reaction when you actually ask a man that you want to take his girlfriend out."

"YOU WHAT??!!" My eyes grew wider.

"I know, I know." He sighed. "But I wanted to spend some time with you before I leave and I figured I should actually tell him about it. And of course he said hell no. He's the possessive one. But you know how persuasive I can be. I wasn't going down without a fight so I told him over and over and actually told him he could beat me if he likes to but I'd still take you out. So in the end, he agreed. But not before hitting me and telling me he'd hunt me down if I touched you inappropriately."

Right now, I do not know if I should be mad at James or Josh. I'm both surprised that Josh went to talk to James about taking me out and that James agreed. "You know you're crazy, right?"

"Yep!" He grinned. "So now I get to give you a ride to school and take you to dinner later. So, let's go?"

I laughed. "You'll make me miss you more, you know."

He laughed and winked at me. "That's the whole point."

~~~~~

Spending time with Josh was fun. He was my familiarity. While James represents everything that is new and refreshing, Josh represents everything that is old and familiar to me.

"So, Josh treating you right?" James said as he sat down beside me at lunch.

I smiled at him. "Yes. And thank you. That was really nice of you."

He arched an eyebrow at me. "So you're not mad that I hit him?"