Chapter 61

"I know you already know this , Gem but this is to formally introduce you both to each other."

Taking a sip of my tea, I placed it back and looked at the person in front of me. Beside me was my mom while dad was on the one seater sofa on my left and in my front, is my fiancé. Harvey.

"It was long decided to have you to wed. It isn't because of power but because your mother and I were good friends of his parents." Dad further explained.

"That's true but Gem, it's still your decision. If you don't want this. We understand." Mom softly said after reaching out for my hand to hold.

Nang tumingin ako sa kanya ay matalim na tingin ang ipinukaw niya kay dad. On the other hand, dad just looked away.

Bumalik ang tingin ko kay Harvey na blangko ang tingin pero nakakuyom ang kanyang mga kamay at nagtatangis ang bagang. Matagal ko nang alam na wala akong kalayaang pumili ng mapapangasawa. I have set my impression that everything involving marriage would be handed to me and all I had to do was said yes and be a bride.

Now that they had given me a choice, I didn't know how to decide on this.

"The marriage will still be set." Pasimpleng sinamaan ng tingin ni mom si dad na pasimple namang nag-iwas.

"Don't pressure them. Also, didn't Harvey tried to cancel this engagement before?"

"That was before and I wished I never made that decision." For the first time, Harvey said something. "I would like to seek redemption from all the things Gem got hurt under my supervision. As his soon-to-be-husband, I'll protect and take care of her with all my life."

I frowned a little while looking at him. His words were nothing but seriousness and determination. He's so confusing. I frowned more. Isn't he with Richelle? Why would he say those words?

"Fine. We won't pressure you both. But to start, spend some time with each other. Go on a date. Bodyguards will still be there but I'll make sure you won't see them."

And with dad's final decision, the small gathering ended.

Harvey and I were left alone. He stood up and walked in front of me. I looked up to his tall stature.

Looking at him, he was specially handsome today. He cleaned good. With his hair in brush up, shiny and looked soft. The morning light did justice to highlight his jaw and his stature. He offered me his hand. The dark blue shirt that fitted him well stretched as his arm muscles flexed with a single move.

"Let's go."

Aniya pero nanatili lang akong nakatingin dito. Hindi ko talaga alam kung bakit pumayag siya sa mga nangyayari. Or maybe he's just like me. A person who succumb for the sake of family name. Born with a responsibility.

"Why did you accept this?" I couldn't help but ask. I needed to know.

"Accept what?"

"Us... the marriage. Ayaw mo rin nito diba? You try to break this agreement before..."

His jaw clenched, nagpiligil sa galit. He always does that when angry.

"That what before. I told you it was a mistake."

"Then what about Richelle? I saw you two. She was in your room. Shouldn't you be responsible for her?"

"She is too." His eyes darkened. "Let's go. Nangangawit na ang kamay ko."

And that's when I realized that he still had his hand offered to me. I looked at his hand and sighed before placing my hand on them. His hand enclosed to mine showed how small my hand compare to his. His hand was rough and it was the first time I felt them like this.