Part 9

I stood on Sam’s doorstep and waited politely for someone to open the door.

I knew I was being stupid, but I was feeling really nervous. I’d met his mum and little sister multiple times before but for some reason it really felt like this was the first time.

I’d made an effort and dressed like a proper girl for a change, I was wearing blue high waisted shorts with a checked tank top from Abercrombie, and my Vans. My hair was up in a scruffy bun.

Sam opened the door and his eyes widened when he saw me. I suddenly felt really worried that I had overdressed.

“What? What is it? Am I too overdressed? Damn, I knew I shouldn’t have worn this, I was just getting so-“

“You look beautiful. I’m just not used to seeing you looking all… like a girl. Stop rambling.” He smirked at. I gave him a shove because of the ‘looking like a girl’ comment, he carried on smirking like an idiot and led me into his house.

“So my mum has to leave soon, and she’s dropping Sophie at a friend on her way to yoga so we’ll have the house to ourselves in a little while…” he winked at me.

“You’re a perv. Where is your mum, I want to go and say hello? Since she did want to meet me and all.”

“She’s in the kitchen, come through.” He led me into the kitchen and at the table was a middle-aged women I recognized as Sally, Sam’s mum.

She looked up and smiled enthusiastically.

“Lily!! Oh wow, don’t you look lovely dear! Makes a change from what I’m used to seeing on the soccer field!! She laughed and wrapped me into a hug. I was surprised for a moment before hugging her back.

“It’s so nice to see you Mrs. Williams. I’m sorry I couldn’t come and visit sooner. Things have been pretty hectic at home.”

“Please, call me Sally Lil! Why so formal?!” She said waving her hand dismissively at me. She patted the seat next to her and I sat down obediently.

“Sorry, I just feel a bit nervous. Meeting the parents is a big deal and I want you to like me!” I said honestly.

“Lily, I’ve known you since you were  12, of course I like you! Don’t be so silly!! I just wanted to see you properly since you’re Sammy’s first proper girlfriend.” She cooed. “Better than those sluts he used to bring home!” She finished casually.

I looked over at Sam, smiling, and he flashed me an apologetic look.

“Oh I know, some of those cheerleaders, eurhh!” Sam glared at me and I held back a laugh.

“Tell me about it! What was that one girl you brought home Sam. The blonde one with the massive bo-“

“Okay. I think that’s enough from you Mum, don’t you have to go out soon.” Sam said quickly. I laughed.

His mum sighed, “Yeah I guess I’d better go. We’ll be home at about 4. Will you still be here by then Lil?”

“Ummm, maybe, but I have to get home quite early, my sister, well she needs my help with something.” That afternoon I had a doctor’s appointment to go to with Becky for her scan. She’s been to a couple on her own that she hadn’t told me about so I’d insisted I went to this one with her.

Sam gave me a knowing look, I’d told him about Becky after the whole situation with my dad. It would have been too hard to keep it from him after that.

He’d been pretty understanding, he just let me talk and didn’t judge.

“Okay well I’ll say goodbye now then just in case!” She wrapped me into another hug and I hugged her back immediately this time. “Sophie!!” She called, after letting me go.