Chapter 42: Life

- J P -

     "In here," Nick states, and we follow him into a building. "Only a matter of time before the sickos come."

     "How'd you stop him?" I ask.

     "I dropped a chair on him," Nick says casually. The rest of us laugh, trying to imagine it.

     "Question, though," Marseille asks. "How did you get in that prison?"

     Nick slowly sighs. "Evan was being stubborn, I got too loud, and Colt found out."

     "But he didn't sell you out?" Aniya asks for confirmation.

     "Not sure." He says.

     "I hope the fuck not," I say, shushing the flip as we hear sickos running outside. The sprint past the building, right towards the Sanctuary walls. "We gotta get out of here."

     "Tell us something we don't know," Aniya says frustratedly. She peeks out at the road, before retreating.

     "Vera's a lie," Nick says.

     "Hm?" Aniya asks.

     "He told me in jail." Nick says, "Marseille can vouch."

     "Went into his evil monologue, comparing himself to Roosevelt and Churchill," Marseille elaborates. "Admitted Vera is just for control." She continues.

     "I knew it," I mutter, sitting down and setting my pistol on the tile floor of the house. "Evan's been brainwashed."

     "Maybe we can save him," Nick says, sitting next to me.

     "Hopefully," I say, pulling out a map of New York City. Once again, Caden came in clutch. "We've got a big ass map, inside help with Zach, and places to be."

     "Zach's helping us?" Aniya asks.

     "He can give us radio news," I say. "We just gotta find a radio."

     "Sounds good," Nick says. "Well, let's figure out what we're doing."

     "Hold up," I say. "Aniya, where's Battery Park again?"

     "Oh yeah." She says, pointing to a small green section on the southwestern coast of Manhattan. "Why?"

     "After your stop, that's our destination." Nick insists. "A friend could be there."

     "I just hope he isn't dead," I say.

     "Me too." Nick states. "Maybe he could help knock Evan out of his shit."

     "Who knows," I say. "Anyway, What about Marseille?"

     "What about me?" She asks.

     "Like, where are you gonna go?" I ask her again.

     "With you?" She says, confused.

     "Well." I start. "What if you went to Battery, and when we come there from Aniya's an hour or so later, we meet you there."