Chapter 13: SPEC

I eyes open to bright sunshine spilling into my window. It was, my guess, around 7 in the morning. 2 hours until that SPEC thing. Hopefully I would make it. But, if not, why could I not just dip from this place? I could always just leave.

     No, I have to make this, and pull through. I stand up and look around my room, hit with a sense of extreme boredom. There wasn't much to think about other than stirring in my own thoughts.

     I grab my stuff and walk out of the room. Some exploration wouldn't hurt, would it? The door quietly closes behind me, and I walk around the hall. Towards the end of the building opposite of the entrance, there was a third story.

     This side of the building was mostly empty. It seemed like an old restaurant. Tables were spread across the room, with white curtains covering the windows. My clothes rub on the tablecloths as I walk to the window.

     I pull the curtain to the side, looking into Battery Park. I didn't get a great chance to look at this place, due to the battle I had. This place was lovely. "If you leave, you leave this" I tell myself. In the midst of hell, if that place was clear of Z's, then this may be the best location they could've found.

     I just hoped that this place wouldn't fall. It had so much potential.

     I move away from the window, sitting in a chair at one of the tables. There were so many questions that could drive me mad. Where were my friends? Why was everyone here kids? Were my friends still alive?

     "Stay tuned to find out!" I mutter to myself jokingly, like a talk show host. The depressing truth was that I may never find out the answer to those 3 questions. But would I want to find my friends?

     Look what happened to Ash.

     My fist slams onto the table, as I seemingly confront myself. This wasn't the first time I had self-destructive thoughts. I was my own critic. I wasn't normally phased by others criticism, but my own...

     My parents. Were they still alive? Were they going to try and find me? Where were they now? There's no way that two people in California could make it to New York City.

     I heard that there were five stages of grief. Those were denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. Those first 4 seem shitty, but I liked that fifth one.

     Why not just skip to number five? Let's try it.

     My parents are dead.

     Fuck.

     That was harder than I thought. Maybe I shouldn't do this right now. I turn around and walk back to my room as fast as I left. I couldn't do it right now. Maybe I would use some of the anger I got from those thoughts for SPEC Tryouts.

     The door closes behind me and I reach in my bag for something. Ah ha! I pull out the map I have grabbed from the car ride here. If I was going to find my friends, I needed to know my way around.

     I then search the room for something. I had to look hard for it, but eventually I found a small ink pen. It sat in a small drawer in my desk. I then break out my small notepad. I used this as a way to get a thought down.

     I had too many.

     I take the pen to the paper and jot down some stuff on the pages. One was labeled "Z". On it, I listed everything I had learned about these creepy motherfuckers, piece by piece. I figure it will give me something to do when I'm bored.

     I shut out my emotions as I write. They retreat to a dark corner inside my mind as the pen scribbles on the paper. They could scream. They could climb. They were strategic. They were our enemy. The youngest one I've seen is Ash.

     I write down everything I'd seen them do, and then a checklist of New York Sites I still wanted to see. A bucket list of sorts. A sad, pitiful bucket list. I had wanted to travel the world before all of this. Now I'm stuck. Time flies by as I write, until later on there's a knock at my door.

     "We gotta go." I hear Tori say, as she walks in. "Why am I always walking in your room?"

     "You look like you enjoy my company." I smirk, and she laughs behind me as I put up the journal.

     "Maybe I do." She says with a smile. I stand up and smile back, and walk out of the room with her. Adam and Catey were waiting outside.

     "Alright, lets go." I hear Catey say, and we walk out. I didn't even notice myself grab the pistol this time. I couldn't decide if that was good as bad. I was taking a new step into this life and away from my old one.

     Catey had her bow, and Adam had his gun. Tori carried her blade. We walk down the stairs and go to Kjrsten's office. Blake sat there with his rifle.

     "You guys ready?" He asks. Blake seemed about 18, like the rest of us.

     "Let's do it." I say, and we walk into a room.