Chapter 41: Rescue

- J P -

     "So.. Zach," I continue. "I have a question for you."

     "And what is it?" He replies, unplugging the headphones from the radio unit.

     "This is strictly confidential, you hear?" I confirm.

     "Got it," Zach answers calmly.

     "Nick, Aniya, and I are leaving tonight," I say. Zach's eyebrows rise, and he's clearly surprised. "Like, actually leaving."

     "I feel like I shouldn't be surprised," he laughs. "How are you going to do it?"

     "We have our method," I answer.

     "Okay." He says. "Well, have fun."

     "I was here to ask you if you want to come with." I drop. His head freezes, and he looks like he's thinking this through very delicately.

     "I don't want out into that hell." He replies quietly. "I can't."

     "I understand," I say, disappointed. "You can keep Evan company." I laugh. He laughs too, although the sad tension in the room was evident. We were finally splitting.

     "I'll help you though," He says, springing up and grabbing a piece of paper. "If you find a radio, I'll be here 99% of the time."

     "How do I use this?" I ask, confused, and looking at the piece of paper with some scribbles on it.

     "When you find a radio, put it on this frequency and say that first phrase. I'll ask you to confirm, and you give me that passcode." He says, showing me how. "and that's it!"

     "Thanks," I say, and Aniya bursts into the room.

     "JP!" She exclaims. I turn around surprised before she continues. "They took Nick!"

     "What?" I ask, and Zach looks bewildered.

     "Like, Colt and them." She begins. "Pulled him out of Evan's. Took him to the brig."

     "Fuck!" I exclaim, grinding my teeth. "What about Caden?"

     "He doesn't want to come." She replies sheepishly.

     "Don't worry," I say. "Look. We'll get him out. And Zach can keep him company."

     "Just don't lose that card," Zach says, pointing to the ship he gave me. "Good luck."

     "Thanks," Aniya says. "We'll need it."

- N I C K -

     "I always knew you would be the one to pull this." Colt sneers, holding his freshly cleaned MK11 menacingly in his hands. "Are you not grateful for what we've built here?"

     "What, your fascist state?" I ask. He leans back in his chair with a barely audible sigh. "Oh right, your theocracy with the wrong god."

     "Leave us," Colt instructs the two guards, and they walk out before locking the door. "You see why both you and Marseille are in here? You're bad eggs."

     Marseille had disappeared a month ago, and rumors had spread that she's been jailed. I guess they were true. I didn't see her as my cell neighbor in my fury.

     "Vera's as fake as it gets." I declare.

     "Of course it is," Colt says calmly, and I'm taken off guard. Having him admit it so clearly tripped me up. "The book is less of a bible.. and more of an, eh, manifesto."

     "And why are you telling me this?" I exclaim, hella confused.

     "You're gonna be listed as mentally unstable, and you won't escape until you're educated enough to be my subject." He says, gripping the metal bars and looking in.

     "I'm going to rule this city, and my name will be in the books alongside Napoleon, Churchill, and Roosevelt." He continues. "People will follow my manifesto as a religion. I will live on and be the most influential person in history. And, I'll be damned if you're gonna fuck it all up."

     I stare in shock, finally knowing his plan and how well it would work. He's a true fascist. "More Like next to Hitler and Stalin."

     "And you'll be remembered by.. who, nobody." He states. "Have fun with that." He walks out of the cell, and the guards come back in.

     I sit down and think about all the shit I know now. He told me so much that he's never let me out now. I just hope that JP and Aniya get out, I could be saved then, at least.

     Two more minutes pass by, or what I think is two minutes. There wasn't much light in here. The door opens, and a suppressed gunshot rings out. A board slams into a guard's head, and he falls over. The second guard collapses, with his leg bleeding profusely from the gun.

     I see JP and Aniya come in and start searching the unconscious guard, the second one tries to point a gun, but JP jumps on him and knocks him down. Aniya fishes a set of keys out, rushing to the cell.

     "What the hell!" I exclaim at the action. "You guys gotta escape!"

     "We don't leave friends behind," Aniya says. "I learned that from you, you had to have expected this."

     "Yes, but they can come down here any second." I point out. My door unlocks, and she immediately turns to Marseille's door.

     "Thank you." Marseille and I say in sync, and we walk into the small hall.

     "Let's go," JP says, grabbing the second guy's gun and knocking him out. "Marseille, come with us."

     "Gladly." She replies, running with us. She was definitely more acted by the cells, being dirty with her clothes more torn. We rush out of the building, sprinting as fast as we could go together across the courtyard.

     Some guards notice, and aim guns. We manage to dip into the escape house before bullets fire. I close the door, flinching from the loud sounds. "Up the stairs!" I exclaim, taking an old bookcase and shoving it in front of the door. It lands with a crash, and I lock the door.

     I clamber up the stairs after them, when I hear the distinctive sound of an MK11. Colt was after us too. As we open the attic door to escape, we hear glass crashing outside. "Get back here!" I hear Colt yell, running towards the stairs.

     He charges up, and I throw an armchair down the channel. It falls onto him, making him scream and fall down a couple of steps to the bottom. He grunts and I take the chance to climb the attic ladder.

     The others are already out on the fire escape, and I squeeze out of the window. I follow the others down the metal staircase, which was rusted. We reach the bottom, running between buildings, and going somewhere. Somewhere other than hell.