Chapter 23: Nighttime

My feet clatter on the ground as I run away, trying not to think about how they'd feel. Maybe that makes me heartless, but I don't care. I need to do this. If they can't understand that, we'll, that's their loss. Yeah, Probably heartless, although too many emotions can get you killed in this world.

I mean, I totally just left them. I wouldn't have done that before this shit, but I guess this world changes people. It hardens all of us. Quite frankly, I don't know if swapping compassion for survival is worth it. Without compassion, what separates us from animals?

I enter into a Main Street, tall buildings on either side. Darkness was quickly approaching, and the street was getting covered in shadows. Cold, strong wind was blowing through this man made valley and I was shivering. It had to be November or Early December. I didn't remember, but most at Battery had kept track. It was likely similar in Brooklyn.

I hear faint footsteps, which were quickly growing closer. I duck behind a nearby building, seeing a horde of Z's running through the streets. It was a solid 50 of them, charging across a street like they were chasing something or someone.

I take the chance to catch my breath and track one of the Z's with my new rifle. It's sights did it well and I'm pleased. I sling it again, holding it tight to reduce rattling. Then, I grab the map and check my position.

1000 feet until the building.

Well that's good.

I get into running again, going the opposite direction of the horde and heading southwest. I dart into a nearby alley and check the map again to check that I'm heading the right direction. It was a lot harder when it was on paper and not on a phone.

I had kept mine in my room at Battery. It's still there, with 0% battery, and no feasible power source to keep it charged. I don't really know the purpose as to keeping it, maybe just as a reminder or some stupid hope that it'll magically power up.

Yeah, I'm definitely gon-

     I look quickly to my left, hearing shuffling and footsteps. A Z is charging straight for me, and I Bradley have time to duck. It goes a few feet past me, giving me time to unbuckle my knife. I slide the holster open and quickly thrust it upward, lobbing it into its outstretched hand.

     It was making really disgusting sounds, and now its blood was gushing to the pavement below. I grab hold of the knife and kick the Z back, ripping the blade out as it fell. It impacts the ground, and I thrust my knife into its eye. Blood covers the knife's blade, and so I pull it out. The Z was thoroughly dead.

     "Ew." I mutter, wiping the blood off on a nearby garbage bin. That one got to me quieter and quicker than I would have preferred. 'At least I didn't have to waste a bullet' I thought. A pool of blood was forming around the corpse, and so I duck into a building. I reach for the ma- the map.

     The pocket where I kept it was empty. It must have fallen out, damnit. I rush out into the alley again, looking for loose paper. I quickly find it, all laminated and such. The wind picks up, and I quickly grab it before it flies into the street. That's good because.. oh hell.

     One street north was a massive horde. It was at least 100 strong, and looking around like rabid dogs. Their heads were twitchy, like scared birds. But they weren't scared. They were the Apex Predators.

     I duck back behind the building, fearing to be seen. It really didn't take much for them to notice a person, chase them until they're exhausted, and feast on them. I'd seen it before too many times. Those who tried to be a hero against a horde, died. It was a horrible idea, but the worst part was that I really wasn't above that.

I shiver. Not only did the wind get colder, but I hoped I was different in that situation. I was training for the hope of surviving one of those, who knows. Maybe I'd need it when I head back to Tulsa.

No, no. This is my home, right? I mean, not now, but I could make it that way. Although that was very hard to do, and I didn't know how to do that. If I found my friends too, I'd just want to go home more.

     But they're gone, So I'm stuck.

     I run into another alleyway, checking the entrances and exits to the place to make sure I don't have a repeat of the last incident. I then finally check my map good, seeing I'm almost there. Then, more footsteps from my right. Oh great.

I pull my knife, ready to stab whatever came around that corner. I'm glad I didn't actually stab first, because another person runs around that corner. She sees me, and her instincts almost make her pull her knife.

It's Eagle.

She rips another clock off her belt and throws one into a alley south of here. It lands with a thud, and she runs past me to open a door. I run inside as well, hearing a huge horde. It looks like the 100 strong one I saw earlier.

"What are you doing here?" She asks, angry.

"What are YOU doing here?" I fire back, and she rolls her eyes.

"I don't know, running the streets like normal?" She states.

"Oh, I thought you were too good to get chased by a horde." I say, and she sighs.

"Asshole." She says. "Seriously, What are you doing here?" I can still hear the horde outside as the sun begins to set.

"Well." I say, sheathing my knife. "It's a.. umm.. long story. May not be appropriate here."

"Then let's run, and you can tell me there." She suggests.