Chapter 11: The Battery

We sit down inside the building, and I reload my gun. I quickly reholster it, not wanting to create a scene. The kids they had on guard lock the front door and the girl motions for us to follow her. The other three get up, and I follow behind them.

There were a couple other kids down in this area of the building. Some of them were waving at Tori, Adam, and Catey. But not for me, which was reasonable. I was totally unknown to these people.

The girl walks into a room, and directs us to sit at some seats. She has a thick European accent, with bright blonde hair and glowing, blue eyes. They were just.. so distinct.

"Let's get started." She says. "My name is Kjrsten, with a j and not an i. I know Tori and Adam, but not you two. Let's get to know each other, shall we?"

     "Nice to finally meet." Catey says, smiling.

     "Yes, you're Adam's girlfriend no?" She says.

     "Correct."

     "Brilliant." She says, Then looks to me. "I don't know you."

     "Name's Ronnie." I say, extending my arm for a handshake. She takes it. "Long story."

     "I've got time." She says. She looks to be about 20. Which, surprisingly, may be the oldest one in this complex.

     "Alright." I say. "Me and a group of 5 friends headed up here from Tulsa, Oklahoma for the Elevation Festival."

     "Oklahoma?" She asks. "You are far."

     "Yeah." I sigh. "I don't know where those friends are, and these 3 found me."

     "Okay." She says, leaning back in her chair and studying me. "You are going to stay, no?"

     "Not sure." I mutter, and at myself for starting to lose hope on finding Evan and co. It was an internal war.

     "I understand." She states. "Okay, well, when you make up your mind, let me know. I'm not going to try and change your thought."

     "Great." I say.

     "One more question." She says. "What are you good at?" I sit in thought for a moment, trying to weigh what would be the most humble answer.

     "I'm quick." I say. "And I can shoot good."

     "Alright." She says. "You guys can talk to me anytime. There's going to be an announcement later today."

     We walk out of the room, as one of the guards leads us out, and another one talks with Kjrsten. She seems serious, but also understanding.

     "So how do you guys know her?" I ask to Adam and Tori as we walk upstairs.

     "She worked at a martial arts academy with me." Tori says. "Adam knows her because of me."

     "True story." Adam says, and we reach the top of the stairway. There was a long hallway with doors lining either side. The guard leads us down to around the middle.

     "First of all." The guard says. He seems to be around our age. "My name's Blake. And second, is anyone going to be bunking in the same room?"

     "Us." Catey says, wrapping her arm around Adam.

     "Alright. And you two separate?" Blake asks.

     "Yeah." I say, and we walk into the next two rooms. The room was pretty small, with a couple pillows and a sleeping bag on the ground. There was a window, thankfully, with a chair and a small desk with a couple drawers.

I set my gun and my knife on the dresser, and my bag of supplies down in the chair. My mind was fried. Too many negative things to think about had shattered my nerve and the fight half an hour ago had turned my tiredness to exhaustion.

I lay down on the cot, passing out.

My eyes open in my bedroom. Great. I'm in this shitty dream again. Or was it a nightmare? I hadn't gotten really scared of it yet. Mostly because there wasn't anything to be scared of.

I shove the door open, and immediately there was a difference this time. Some of the walls inside were boasting giant cracks now. Maybe 1 foot from the roof.

I look out towards the dining room, not seeing the shadow this time. Then I notice movement to my right, and shivers go down my spine as I see that shadow moving through a different room.

I run down the hall after him, but he walks through a crack and into the backyard. I rush for the backdoor, once again noting the total silence that filled this dream.

I bust through the back door, and see the shadow sitting at the same table with the same map. All the doorways were closed this time.

I reach down for one of the Monopoly pieces that were strewn on the ground, and my eyes sweep to the right forcefully. The shadow screams, which makes a chill go through my body. It screams like a Z.

My head suddenly begins to blur, ring, and radically shake all at the same time. My body flies back onto a wall.

I rocket forward from the cot, making a small sigh. Just a dream. I inhale deeply, catching my breath. I think that could be a nightmare now.

I get up from the sweat-drenched sleeping bag and stand up. I walk to the window and look outside. It seemed to be around afternoon when I woke up. The sun was about an hour or so from setting.

There's a knocking at my door. "Ronnie?" It's Tori.

"Yeah?" I ask.

"Kjrsten is having an assembly in a couple of minutes. Bottom of stairs. Be there."

"Okay." I say, sifting through my bag and finding a partial tube of crackers. J grab one and bite in, wondering if Elevation was a bad idea.