Chapter 35: Abandoned

- N I C K -

     "Trump Tower." JP says, looking at a massive skyscraper next to us. I giggle, before looking out the window to the other cars.

     "This is the place, I assume?" I ask Evan, who was hopping out of the car with Colt. I open the door to the BMW, which swings upward, and I stand up outside.

     "Yeah." Evan whispers, as we rush towards a building. "Didn't he say a townhouse, or something like that?"

     "Wait." Colt says, looking at a massive church nearby. "There!" He points to a two story building, which actually looked like a house. That had to be it, considering all the other buildings were skyscrapers or churches.

     We run down the sidewalk, opening the door to the house once we get there. To my avail, when Evan turns the knob, it opens. We stroll inside one after another.

     The building was smaller inside, looking basic and raided. There were open cabinets everywhere, and the stairway had some damage to the railing. Some of it had just fallen off, and was laying on the ground.

     "What happened here?" I ask, walking towards the stairs and looking at the second floor. All the doors were closed except for the one at the end of the hall. I rush inside and look around. The window was broken, and both lamps and other objects were scattered around the floor broken. Something had clearly gone down.

     I open the doors to the rest of the rooms, finding cleaner bedrooms and orderly things. Frustrated, I rush down the stairway, to where the other 5 were standing around madly. "I couldn't find him." I say in defeat, walking to the group.

     "That's because he's not here." Caden says, storming off into a neighboring room.

     "What do you mean he's not here?" I ask.

     "Look." Evan says, shoving his phone into my chest before following Caden. I'm shocked, so I read the phone. A text message showed up on the screen.

     'change of plans. I'm riding with some locals to Battery Park. My house is compromised. DO NOT head there, it's overrun. Just get to Battery Park. Then we can go home.' Was what was in his text. I had seen that Evan responded with 'Where is a Battery Park?' But there was no response.

     The phone had no service. At all. Service must have gone pit recently. I stared at the screen, my mouth hanging open. Was he serious? He had just left us like that?

     "I don't see an overrun house!" I exclaim, furious. I slam the phone onto the table, not even caring if it cracks.

     "That's because they're over there." Colt says, looking out one of the windows. He was right. A horde of sickos were across the street, walking around in a tall building. My attitude changes a bit, realizing that there was a horde and that they just left.

     "Wait." I say, turning to Colt. "You know where that place is, right?" I ask him. "Surely?"

     His face freezes for a couple seconds, like I caught him off guard. "No." He skates his head, looking like he was confused now. "I don't know."

     "You sure?" I ask, angered. How could he not know?

     Colt looked flustered, before looking angry. "You're questioning me?" He asks furiously. "How dare you!"

     My face curled into a frown, and my brow furrowed. "Yes, I did!" I exclaim, getting right up to him. "Get off your high horse."

     I feel a pain on my cheek, and I stumble back. He had just slapped me. That bitch! "I saved your disrespectful ass!" He exclaims to me. I take the chance to punch him, ready for a fight. I was a Karate master, becoming a black belt nearly 3 years ago.

     He stumbles, but quickly comes at me with a flurry of kicks and punches. I see the other 4 rush to us, but I couldn't focus on them. He was displaying so many martial arts skills.. Jujitsu, Karate, Judo, Aikido... and many others. He was better than me.

     I felt blow after blow to my body, falling down in pain and blood rushing from my nose. He stands over me, with a foot on my chest. "Pathetic." He mutters, lifting the foot and kicking me. The others get there, separating us an motioning for us to quiet down.

     "I don't know if you realize that there are a load of sickos across the street?" Zach says. "Stop it, or we'll all die."

     "If he doesn't know, he doesn't know." Evan states. "We need to cut our losses and move on."

     "What happened to sticking together?" JP asks, and Evan looks at him.

     "You know where this Battery Park is?"  Evan fires back. "No. None of us do. There's no finding him, so why don't we just go?"

     "We'll find another map." I say, wiping blood from my mouth and standing up, glaring at Colt.

     "If your friend won't even show up, then he's not worth chasing down." Colt says. "We're going to the East Village, and if anyone has objections, than have fun tangoing with the sickos."

     He walks out, and we reluctantly follow. JP is the last to go out, mostly because I'm too dazed to protest. My walk feels dizzy and nauseating, and with JP's Help I make it to the car.

     I collapse into the passenger seat of the i8, sweating and tired. JP hops in beside me. "I got a bad feeling about this." He says, pushing the start button. "I just do."

     "We'll get out." I say. "It's not like he's going to hold us hostage in this base. It's just another mouth to feed."

     "I hope you're right." JP mutters, sliding the car into gear and following the other two cars. I sit up in my chair, wiping blood stains from my nose and watching the buildings pass by. The other 5 were horrible at martial arts, but Colt was too much. He was going to be dangerous if he wanted to.