chapter 88

Chapter 88

I was woken up by the sound of someone clearing their throat and the hospital chair next to my bed creaking as someone sat down. I pulled myself up and looked to see who it was. The cougher was Inspector Morris, his orange curls were glowing in the artificial hospital light. I rubbed my eyes, took a sip of water and greeted him. He was alone this time.

'How are you?' He was as blunt as I remembered.

'Um, better thanks, sore sometimes but it's not so bad.'

He nodded at me. 'Good. I think you're about to feel a bit better again now' He rummaged in the pocket of his uniform trousers and pulled out a notebook. He cleared his throat and as he was about to talk Bo and Rose burst into the room chatting loudly about something. They stopped walking when the saw the Morris and quickly shut their mouths.

'Sorry. We didn't know you were here.' Bo said and Rose tried to hold in a laugh but couldn't keep a straight face.

'No, no, that's fine I was just about to tell Aria that,' he looked at me 'we've caught the person who shot you.' All three of us gasped in shock. Bo and Rose all rushed over to the chairs by the windows and drew all their attention on Morris.

'Really?' I gripped the edge of the bed so hard my knuckled turned white. I wished Louis was with me. 'That's great news.'

'Yeah, who was it?' Rose said impatiently.

'Well it appears you were right, it was the brother of the defendant in your case. He seemed to think that your client was going to win and that his brother would be having a very long jail sentence. To quote him 'if she wasn't on his case he might not go down. So I took her out' He openly admitted to doing it once we had him, which saved time.'

'Why that sneaky little-' Rose started but Bo nudged her in the stomach.

Morris continued talking to me. 'I'm sure you're aware of what happens now, as a barrister.'

'Yeah. Trial, verdict and hopefully a life sentence for attempted murder.' I nodded. I knew the deal.

He smiled at me for the first time ever, which was more of a shock than finding out my attacker had been caught. 'I thought you'd know. Basically, you're safe now, he's being detained until his case, probation was denied.' I heard the girls sigh.

'Good. That's good.' The relief I felt was immense. I didn't have to worry anymore.

'We'll inform you of when the trial is etc, but it won't be for a while yet, but we'll get back to you.' He stood up from the chair. 'I have to go now, but I'll no doubt see you again soon when the trial is here.' He nodded once and left the room.

'Gee, I can't wait to see you again either.' I said sarcastically once he was out of ear shot.

'Bye' Rose put up her hand to wave but Bo slapped it down.

'They caught him. It's over now.' I said more to myself than to the girls. They both got up off their chairs and walked over to me.

I picked up my phone and ring Louis. I waited for him to answer but he didn't, which was unusual as he always answers. I left him a message: 'Hey Lou it's me. They've caught the guy who shot me. It was the brother of the defendant in the trial. He admitted to it and everything. Everything's okay now. Love you.'

I then called everyone that knew about what had happened and told them the good news.

...

'I'm back!' Spencer called as she strolled through the door. She ran over to me and pulled me into a hug. Rose and Bo who were already in the room with me jumped up and joined us in a hug as well.