Chapter Two- Why are you so perfect?

Dan.

I stared at Phil’s wrists. They were bloody and three long cuts were slashed untidily into his pale white skin. When did he do this? Why did he do this? I looked up at Phil, still holding his wrist. Phil’s face was full of pain, and I became aware I was pressing onto the cuts. I let go of his wrists. “Why?” I whispered.

Phil looked away, not answering me. He started to walk away, leaving me holding a bloody bandage and my hands covered in blood. I followed Phil, walking a little behind him until we reached out apartment block and had to go in the elevator together. I couldn’t understand why Phil would do this to himself, what made him feel so... Depressed that he had to self harm?

It was an awkward elevator ride, no one talked. My phone started ringing and I looked at it, not knowing it I should answer it or not.

“Well, you gonna answer it?” Phil asked, his voice was shaking.

I bit my lip, then took the phone out of my pocket. “Hello?” I asked.

“Hey! It’s Megan!”

“Hey Megan.” I said sadly.

“Is this a bad time?” She asked.

“Yep.” I leaned against the elevator wall. We had stopped at some level to let an older woman in.

“Oh, ok. I’ll call you back later then? Bye!”

“Bye.” I hung up.

We were at our level, and we both got out. When we got inside I couldn’t take it anymore.

“Why would you do that to yourself?” I asked him. He wasn’t looking at me. “Phil?”

“Because I’m not you.” He said softly.

“What!?” Because he’s not me? What?

“Because I’m not you! Dan, I’m not you. Everyone loves you, n-no body would even take a second look at me! I’m not you!” He sat down, crying.

I didn’t know what to do. “I-I...” I sat down next to him, and did the only thing that felt right. I hugged him. We sat like that, hugging each other, for a long time, until my phone rang again. I sighed and picked it up, “Hello?”

“Hey, It’s Megan!”

I walked off to my room, chatting to Megan, leaving Phil sitting on the floor.

I lay in my bed, thinking about Megan, and Phil, and blood. Mostly blood. I hated blood, it made me feel sick. I could hear Phil in the next room, crying. I wanted to go and comfort him, but I couldn’t. I couldn’t bring myself to get off my butt and talk to my best friend. I am such a bad person. I hugged my pillow, tomorrow everything will be back to normal. Phil and I will go back to being non-awkward friends. I rolled over and laid on my stomach and fell asleep, dreaming of me covered in blood and Phil eating some sort of animal.

I heard Phil rattling around in the kitchen, like normal. I sat up, rubbing my eyes. I looked at my phone and saw the time was 1 pm. Great. I slid out of my bed and walked sleepily to the kitchen.

“Morning.” I murmured. I sat at the breakfast bar stool and saw that Phil was making pancakes. “Smells good.” I told him.

“Thanks.” He said quietly. Great, so we’re not over it.

“Hey, Phil? It doesn’t matter, I’m not mad at you. Let’s just go on like we were, ok?”

I saw Phil smile, “Ok. So, how was Megan?” He turned around and gave me a stack of pancakes.