In the midst

Today (2010)

And all I feel is pity, for this, sickly child, looks as though it had not been properly fed in years. Anorexic, flies that follow open wounds, a stiff appearance, a tilted head and lazy wondering eyes that express a hardship lived, surrendered efforts. Clothing barely on. How can a child, possibly around five or six be in such obvious misery and isolation.

The Stranger is walking towards me as he wheels the child.  Why is he doing this?

"Why are you doing this? Whose child have you taken? Whose mother you've made live without her child? For your own personal needs? Have you, touched this child?"

He stops for a moment, then continues towards my direction but in a slower pace. 

The child's eyes slowly gazes to my face, saying nothing, but help. me.

He lets go of the wheel chair, then sits on the couch near me, and the rest of that day took me by surprise, it was all, quiet, peaceful, I almost felt as thought we were a simple family, a mother and a father spending a Sunday afternoon with their child, having a family discussion, sipping on a cup of fresh lemonade. Yet this was not a family, just a room full of strangers, with the child and mother screaming silently. Every day a nightmare, sipping on cups of fresh agony. 

Then night fell. My eyes are heavy and I am ready to sleep, surprisingly. I've never expected to be able to with this man around. I might, just might be in the eye of the storm. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What does Yukki really mean by "I might just be in the eye of the storm."? 

Does she feel things will get worst for her?

Does she hate being here less?

Does she feel safe here in the world of chaos?