[27] Distance

CHAPTER 27- Distance

Demi's POV 

"MOM HELP ME! PLEASE NO! PLEASE!" I ran around the dark building frantically trying to find the source of Izzy's screams for help. 

"MOM THEY'RE HURTING ME PLEASE HELP!" 

Her piercing screams echoed off the walls as my own joined, pleading with her, that I was coming to find her, to hold on. 

"MOM HELP PLEASE! MOMMY!" Her voice ripped up an octave, then cut off, and I was wrenched out of my dream. 

      I sat up in bed, breathing heavily and holding my throat. Wilmer was sleeping soundly next to me, which meant I wasn't screaming in my sleep. Taking deep breaths, I got up and walked out of the room, down the hall where Izzy was sleeping soundly. I sighed in relief, and walked further into the room, sitting next to her on the bed to watch the way the blankets rose up and down with her breathing, proof of the life running through her. Carefully, so not to wake her, I laid down, and unconsciously she snuggled into my arms, laying her head on my chest. 

        I used to do this when I got home late from work or business trips, just lay here with her in my arms. I hated leaving her, it killed me to watch her smile fade as I walked out of the door each morning. But every night, I'd come home and just lay here with her, whispering how sorry I was, and how much I loved her. I'd come to realize I should've done it when she was awake, because now whenever I say it I know there's a part of her that doesn't believe me. 

~*~

         I  woke up in Izzy's bed, but she wasn't there. With a sigh, I walked downstairs and saw Wilmer sitting on the couch. Suddenly, his face changed, to one of Sean Mendez, the back to my Wilmer's. I clapped my hand over my mouth and he frowned, getting up and walking over to me. 

"Demi are you okay?" I backed away from him as he came closer. 

"I-I... I don't know... Where's Izzy?" 

He stepped again, and this time my back hit the wall. 

"In the shower, why do you want to know where Izzy is?" His face morphed again, and I pressed my hand against his chest at an arms distance. 

"Please. Don't touch me." Wilmer froze. 

"Demi... Why are you acting like this? It's just how you were when-" 

"Shut up. We agreed to never talk about that again."

He shook his head, "Then why are you doing this? We've been making so much progress and things have been so good why do you need to go back to this? And YOU agreed not to talk about it. Not me." 

Anger pushed it's way up inside me, "Well it's in YOUR best interest to not talk about it. Because you know what? All I had was myself, I had to take care of myself ad cry myself to sleep at night while you were out partying. You had the drugs and the alcohol to take care of you. Me? I just got a cheating husband." 

Wilmer's eyes darkened, "You can't bring that up again Demi! We were past that! I'm apologized a million times over for that! I lost him too! As much as you put yourself in the victim spot just know that he was-" 

"STOP!" I screamed, pressing my hands over my ears and sliding down to the floor. 

"Don't you DARE say it Wilmer! You ALWAYS bring him up everytime we fight no matter how much it hurts me!" 

By now, he was yelling too. 

"THAT'S BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO FORGET DEMI! I WANT TO WORK THROUGH THE PAINFUL MEMORIES BECAUSE THAT'S HEALTHY! WHAT'S NOT HEALTHY IS SHUTTING THAT DOOR AND THROWING YOURSELF INTO YOUR WORK LIKE A MADWOMAN AND FORGETTING YOU HAD ANOTHER DAUGHTER THAT YOU DIDN'T WANT BECAUSE YOU WERE SCARED." 

My hand met his cheek with a sharp slap

"Get. Out." 

Wilmer touched the reddened skin, then turned on his heel and stalked out of the door, slamming it behind him. 

~*Izzy's POV*~

 You see? I told you they both didn't want you. 

 Tears were streaming down my face as I listened to my parents scream at each other from the stairway. 

You'll never be good enough. You'll never be good enough. You will NEVER be good enough. 

It seemed almost routine, as I walked slowly into the bathroom, locking the door behind me. The blade sat on the floor, a risky spot but I had to hurry when my mom came to 'talk' to me. For the third time in the fast four days I found myself dragging it across my skin. As the blood beaded across my arm it was almost satisfactory as the familiar numbness washed over me. As I cleaned up the blood, a small smile made it's way onto my lips. 

Don't tell mom. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment and Vote! 

Follow me on twitter and tweet me what you thought! @Lovatic_Chica

-Rachel