Chapter 19-Dinner 🍖🍱

Maddie Greene's P.O.V

Dinner was going well, coupled with the fact that I was enjoying the steak, it was so good.

I think Mrs Rivers noticed how much I was loving the steak, because she chuckled before saying "Honey slow down, you'll choke on your food".

Mr Rivers spoke up " I think you're a few seconds away from picking up that steak and shoving it in your mouth".

True. I hummed in delight as I relaxed in my chair. I waited to finish chewing then swallowing before I said anything "Sorry mum, sorry dad, its just, the steak is that good" resuming using my cutlery to slice I asked "whats the secret?".

She chuckled again, totally pleased "Its just love from me to you two".

Oh, yea Emily. Honestly I forgot she was beside me, I was too engrossed in my steak and she was too quiet and I'm used to not minding people when were beefing. I'm snit.

"Awwww" I said as I shoved a piece of steak in my mouth "Thanks mum, you should do this often".

Emily didn't say anything.

I noticed Mrs Rivers throwing a glance at Emily before concentrating on her food, but before she did that, I noticed the glint of sadness in her eyes.

We continued in silence, as I waited for Mr and Mrs River to be nearly done with their food, and me too, so I wouldn't loose appetite out of what I'm about to do.

" You okay Em?". I asked, feeling kinda stupid, deep down, somewhere I didn't want to talk to her, cause I really hate being given attitude. I didn't look at her though, and I noticed Mr and Mrs Rivers look up at me. They knew we were still at loggerheads, but here I am now, trying to settle. Partially against my wish.

She didn't answer immediately, but out of the corner of my eyes I saw her stop her slicing then resume. "I'm fine" her voice came out gruff.

I let that sink in for a minute or two before adding "Enjoying dinner?" This was so awkward.

"Yes" Gruff again.

"You didn't compliment mom's food" we didn't look at each other, just kept eating.

"You're not mom".

Was all she said, I almost lost it, almost, it was the brief eye contact I had with Mrs River that calmed me, she was like a soothing angel to my anger.

"But I'm the elder one".

She scoffed "Yea right".

I can do this, I can calm down. I don't have to be angry, it'll just give her the upper hand, I'm the mature one. I can do this.

Its so hard, but I can try.

"Watch your tone Emily" I said as I forcefully shoved another steak in my mouth, gradually loosing my appetite.

"Stop talking to me".

Mr and Mrs River had stopped eating, they were rather watching the scene, as for me, I was trying hard not to spit the food back in the plate.

"Stop being unreasonable".

Emily pushed the chair back and got up, she was heading for the stairs.

I looked at her, anger filling me, in my life I loathe being walked out on, it made me feel inferior and weak and not useful to argue with, in short, a fool.

"Don't you dare walk out on me Emily River!!".

To my utmost doubt, she stopped, then slowly turned around, the shock, surprise and disbelief visible on her face. Maybe because of the anger in my voice or the use of her full name. Either way I've never had a sister, and this is my best knowledge of treating shit.