31- Saving Jacob, Breaking Jacob

"Hello everyone. You know I would have really appreciated it if you had chosen a place closer to the school because I really didn't like having to run all the way here when I found out you stole something from me." Jacobs head snaps up from the dead body to see Ivory walk calmly across the floor towards him and the other two.

Dante scoffed. "The point was to make you as tired as possible. I knew you'd follow but I didn't think you'd be so stupid as to come alone." Jacob looked at Ivory, watching as she approached, seemingly oblivious to the people around her who were holding very deadly weapons.

It was then when he saw that none of them were bothering to stop her and were getting into position he laughed. A sharp pain in his side cut it short. The man called Papa Diablo had sliced the blade hidden in his cane through his ribs. He could feel the flow of blood from the cleanly sliced wound and a wave of nausea hit. His head started to spin as the pain dulled. "You said you were disappointed that I didn't fight you Papa Diablo. Well now you're going to see why me fighting would have been a bad idea." Ivory shot forwards, so quick that Papa Diablo was so shocked he didn't have time to react.

A well aimed kick sent him sprawling ontop of Dantes father. His blade clattering across the ground. Ivory shot Jacob a quick glance before grabbing the blade and tossing it from one hand to the other. "You don't want to see this Jacob. You look sick enough as it is." She looked down at Papa Diablo, hatred filling her eyes as she watched him struggle to his feet.

Jacob could barely nod. The sound of gunfire thundered through his head as he weakly closed his eyes. He felt the chains loosen and a pair of hands grabbed him and started dragging him away. The sickening sound of a blade slicing through flesh and bone made vomit creep up his throat but he managed to hold it down. He thought the person dragging him away was help. Yet he was sorely mistaken as his battered body gets thrown to the ground.

Pain ricocheted through every inch of his body and he couldn't hold the vomit down. He coughed and weazed as he threw up over the floor, his vision blurred a with tears. His head grew foggy as he began losing consciousness. "You're weak Jacob. So very weak. Letting your feelings cloud your judgement. Feelings are worthless. They're just chemicals that your body releases. They mean nothing." Dantes voice sounded wavey to Jacobs ears as a high pitch ringing filled his head.

"They aren't worthless." He croaked as he moved to lay on his side and stare at Dante through blurred vision. "If they mean nothing, why do you still feel attached to her?" He coughed, blood hitting his tongue once again.

Dantes fists clench. "No. I feel no attachment to her. She means nothing to me." His voice wavered slightly and Jacob somehow managed to catch it.

He smiled. "Useless chemicals my ass." Darkness crept over him.

Jacob watched as a silver blade protruded from Dantes chest before being pulled away. With wide eyes Dante fell. The last thing Jacob made out before slipping under completely was a pair of blue eyes so dark they were almost black set on the face of a girl with strawberry blonde air. With all the last remaining strength that he could claw together he breathed out a single word.

"Ivory."

~~~

Monitors beeped, the smell of anti bacteria filled the air, people moved around constantly. The hospital wasn't a place Ivory liked to be at. But it was the only place Jacob could get the care he needed to stay alive. The makeshift hospital rooms back at the 8 Riches places wouldn't do. So it was the hospital they went to.

Curled into an uncomfortable plastic chair, blood splattered on her clothes and skin, staining her hair, she waited, silent. Crystal, Ash and Jamie were further down, closer to the door of Jacobs room where the doctors worked furiously. The others were all in a separate waiting room, they didn't want to crowd the halls.

The door to Jacobs room swing open, a doctor walked out with blood stained gloves. Ivory didn't move, yet Jacobs family leaped to their feet, waiting expectantly. All she wants to know is if he will be okay. Her ears were on full alert, waiting to hear what the doctor had to say. "He's going to make it."

It was all Ivory needed to hear. She was on her feet and disappearing around the corner before anyone knew she had even moved. She stopped outside the waiting room the others were in to find them all huddled together, many faces were streaked with tears. Slowly she pushed the door open, all heads snap up to look at her. "How is he?" Maddison gripped her husbands hand tightly.

"He's going to make it." Ivorys voice was hollow, tone less, devoid of emotion.

Breaths of relief and cries of happiness erupt around her. She locked eyes with Bella who's relieved smile dropped. "No." She snapped sternly. The sound of happiness dropped into silence.

Ivory shook her head. "I have to."

Bella stood, anger sweeping across her face. "You will do nothing of the sort Ivory. I won't allow it. I'm your godmother. Your parents entrusted your safety and your life to me. I will not allow you to just leave. Not now. It would kill Jacob." She glared at Ivory who hung her head.

"I have to Bella. I can't be here when he wakes up. It may kill him when I leave but he will bounce back. But if I stay I'll have to see what I did to him and it I'll kill me. I won't bounce back from this Bella. I barely managed to when my family died. With Jacob. There's just no way I'll make it through alive." She turned and walked out the door. When Bella leaped out to stop her Ivory was long gone.

"Where's Ivory? Jacob just opened his eyes. He wants to see her." Ash breathed, a smile on his face but tears in his eyes as he ran over.

Bella shook her head. "She's gone. You won't be able to get her to come back. She'll never be able to face Jacob. Not while he wears the scars of what happened. I've never seen her care about someone so much. Not since Carmen." She walked back into the waiting room where all was silent.

"Jacobs going to be crushed." Ash sighed, running a hand through his hair.

Bella nods slowly. "Tell him she had to work. Tell him she said she was sorry that she couldn't be here. Don't tell him she left because she can't see him." She sighed and lent against Brett.

Nodding Ash walked away. Jacob will be crushed. Heartbroken.

When Jacob was told she had to leave for work he was broken. He didn't smile no matter how hard they tried. He didn't laugh, he barely ate or talked. It felt like a hole had been torn through his chest.

It hurt everyone to see him like that. It went on for weeks and months. Whe. He had recovered and gone back to school he wasn't the same. Nothing had changed from when he was in the hospital except now he barely slept. He barely did anything. His passion for soccor slipped away as he fell into the feeling of being useless.

He missed Ivory. He needed her. Everyone could see it. He was dying inside. Piece by piece. Unaware that Ivory was no better as she watched from a distance. Not daring to be within their sight. Too afraid of the damage she could cause.