1- Secret Art Friend

Carmen ran down the street as fast as she could. If she doesn't hurry then she'll be late for school. Training took a wrong turn and went on for a lot longer than it should have. Ignoring startled looks as she sprinted she pushes herself faster, muscles aching and screaming, begging for her to stop. She doesn't run. She never runs.

Not in front of people like this. Well not as Carmen anyway.

She skids over a muddy patch of grass as she turns to cut across the field. Catching herself she keeps going, glancing at her watch to see it's only a couple minutes till the bell rings.

Cursing she leaps up the steps and dodges around people trying to get to class. Coming up to her locker she mud slicked shoes give no friction and she lets out a yelp, crashing into the owner of the locker beside hers then falling hard to the ground.

"Hey, watch it." The male she crashed into glares down at her before throwing her a swift kick to the ribs.
Carmen hissed in pain as she stood, holding the shoulder she'd injured earlier during training. "You watch it." She steps to the side and reaches out to pull her locker open. The male stares in shock. Ketchup and mustard squirt from her locker, missing Carmen, the suppose to be recipient and hitting a passing cheerleader her screams and runs off with people laughing in her wake.

"You knew that was there how?" The male beside her hissed.

Carmen rolls her eyes. "Go bully someone else Jacob. I'm not in the mood."

Jacob Fleming. Son of Ash and Crystal Fleming, brother of Jamie Fleming, one of the second generation 8 Riches and the head of the make Carmen miserable group. He bullies her more than the others. Physically, emotionally and mentally.

Jacob slams his locker shut and walks away. Sighing Carmen pulls her books from her locker, shoves them in her bag and runs towards her first class. Art. The one good thing at school.

The bell rings and she speeds up. The art room comes in sight and a male steps out in front of her in a dark grey hood, pulled low. Time seems to slow as she jumps swiftly to the side, skidding over the floor into a rubbish bit. A fiery pain fills her shoulder and she groans in pain. "Sorry." The male quickly walks over and helps Carmen stand properly. Carmen knows who's under the hood. It's a secret between them.

Under the hood was Campbell Brandon, one of the second generation 8 Riches. He does art and is ashamed for it so he hides under the hood. He doesn't feel like he'd be accepted. The son of the Kyle and Delance Brandon. He thinks art makes him look weak.

Carmen found out by accident so she made a deal with him. She won't tell anyone about him doing art and in return he doesn't bully her. Carmen removes her hand to wave him off but as soon as the pressure is removed from her shoulder a wave of excruciating pain washes over her and she almost crumples. Campbell catches her and gently sits on her of the ground. "Let me see your shoulder Carmen." He says calmly and her eyes widen in fear, shaking her head.

"No. You can't." She tries to scramble away but Campbell pulls her back and holds her with an iron grip.

"Either you show it to me voluntarily or I see it forcefully." He growls and Carmens body crows rigid. All the ways to get him off her running through her head but she pushes them away and sighs.

"Fine."

Campbell pulls the shoulder of her large jumper down and his eyes widen. On her shoulder was a slight circular burn with two blacked holes in the center a couple centimeters apart. It was fresh. "Where did you get that?" Campbell lets the jumper go back into place and Carmen cringes.

"I was stabbed by some guy with an electrified cattle prod."

Campbell gets to his feet and helps her up. "I'm not even going to ask. You coming to class. The teacher will be waiting for us. We're starting the new assessment today. Takes up most of this years art grade." He takes a step backwards towards the door.

Picking up her bag she winces and nods. "Yeah. It's the one subject where there's a student who generally respects me."

Campbells head drops. "I'm sorry about that." Carmen walks over and puts a hand on his arm.

"Don't worry about it. Bullying is something I can handle. It's nothing compared to what I've been through. Now come on. I want to beat you on this assignment." She smirks and walks past him into the class. He laughs and follows after her.

"You two are late." Mrs French says, hands on her hips and eyes narrowed. The two stop abruptly and glance at each other.

"It's my fault Mrs French. There was an incident this morning. He stayed with me in the hospital till they were done. We just came from there." Carmen smiles sheepishly.

Campbell stiffens. "Of course. Now sit down and begin. Your assignment is to capture the element that rules over the school. I expect big things from both of you." Mrs French steps aside and the two hurry to their seats.

Carmen pulls out her phone to find it only had 19% battery life left. Sighing in annoyance she outs it away and pulls her art books out. "Do you think she'll check?" Campbell whispers as he pulls out his art book and starts sketching.

"Yes." Carmen replied simply, unfazed as she puts bookmarks at some of the artworks she wants to use.

"I wasn't at the hospital." He snaps.
"But I was." Carmen glances sideways at him. "I was at the hospital with a tall male with a strong build and a grey hoddie just like yours pulled low over their face so he couldn't be identified." She adds and watches Campbells body relax.

"Thank you." He looks at her, his grey eyes just visible below the hood.

"Don't worry about it. I owe you for making my life that little bit easier." Carmen smiles sadly before going quiet and busying herself with her planning.

She doesn't want to admit it but she has a crush on Campbell and it's been there since she found out about him doing art. He's a nice guy, sweet, charming, not a complete and utter ass. She knows she can't have him because it'll kill them both. She can't have anyone because she was promised to someone else and if that promise gets broken then nobody who stands in her promised suitors way will stand a chance.