7- Miss Diablo Substitute

Jacob Fleming

Walking into school and seeing Carmen by her locker made me remember the night before. I heard what she was saying about her family and how they were killed. It hurt me. It made me want to comfort her. But then she talks about the Diablos. She knows them. It's odd. There's something there that I'm missing. It appears to be just below the surface but I can't grasp it.

Wiping the confusion to the back of my mind I walk over to my locker right beside Carmens. As I pass her I shove her with my shoulder, sending her into her locker. "Watch it Jacob. You're acting like I put alcohol in the sauce I put on your steak." She snapped, eyes blazing.

I unlock my locker and turn to glare back at her. She seemed to falter but her hardened shield quickly solidifies. "I can't be sure that you didn't. We all know that nobody would believe you over me. If I say you drugged me or slipped alcohol into something I ate, they'll have live me and think you were trying to get back at me." As I stare her down I notice a bruise just visible at the base of her neck on her collarbone. It looked new and larger than what was showing. A dark purplish black against her light, gently tan skin.

Upon noticing she pulls her jumper over it, her glare shared as she slammed her locker shut and stormed off, hugging her books to her chest. I scold myself mentally as I rummage through my locker, trying to find my Chemistry work book. Sadly it was nowhere to be found. Even more sad, the teacher, Mz Blair, hates people who forget their books and always hands out detention for it. I can not get detention. My parents would kill me if I did. I have bruises to prove that they can be very tough when I train with them. I'd hate to ever be on their bad sides. I've heard many horrifying stories about them.

With no luck I shut my locker and wall to Chemistry, getting myself ready for a verbal beating. But as I get there Carmen steps in front of me and hands over a Chemistry workbook. "Take it. I don't want you getting detention when we need to get you up to track on maths. Especially since we never got that far yesterday night." She turned on her heel, hair flicking over her shoulders as she walks into the class.

Not what I expected. I have hurt her almost every single day of school yet she now she's helping me. I don't get it. Something is most definitely going on and I want to know what the hell it is.

"You alright there Jacob? You seem a little shocked." Isabella appeared beside me.

I could only manage a frown. "So confused then. Care to tell me what about?" She bumped me with her shoulder, a smile on her face.

"I'm not sure I can Is. I can't get my head around it enough to explain." I look at her, she stood an inch or two shorter than me. She always gets attention for her looks and for her fame. Black hair from her father and her blue eyes shared with her parents. Although the colour is closer to her mother's.

"Well, I hope you figure it out. Can't have you distracted for when I fight you tonight. I want a fair game and I want to fight for a decent amount of time before beating you." She smirks and walks away, sending a glare at Dexter as she passed. A glare he gladly returned.

"God I hate that girl." He glared after her until she disappeared around the corner. But not before she sends back another glare.

These two have been at each others throats for a year. Nobody knows how it started. One day they were fine. The next they were trying to kill each other. Literally. They won't tell us what happened. All we know is it's getting worse and there's no sign that it's ever going to get better. "She's not so bad Dexter. Your rage is obscuring your vision mate. Now come on. I don't want to have Mz Blair yell at me. My head hurts from trying to suss out what happened last night."

Dexter shot me a glare at the first thing that came from my mouth. Whoops. But the second fact made him snicker. We step into Chemistry, the girls all giggle and wave as usual. Ew. Well all but Carmen. She didn't even look up.

"You never told me what happened. Neither did Jamie. I'm pretty interested. Saw her leave your house not that much after she went in. The guards seemed startled by her. She seemed kind of odd. Especially if you add the fact that she was in the gym on the top floor. There is definately something odd going on and I want to know what." Dexter took his seat beside mine on the opposite side of the class to Carmen.

My phone vibrated before I could answer. My eyebrows shot upright when I saw it was Carmen yet she hasn't even touched her phone. 'Say a word and it'll be the last thing you ever do'. A threat. She's threatening me.
"You okay Jacob? You've gone a little pale." Dexter leant closer.

"Fine. I'm fine. Don't worry about it." Slipping my phone away I look down at the Chemistry book Carmen had given me. It was new. No bends it creases. It has never been used before.

Opening the cover I saw a folded piece of lined paper. "What's that?" Carlos sat at the desk in front of me, her sat sideways in his seat, looking down at the folded paper in my hands.

Out of the corner of my eye I could have sworn I saw Carmen smirk before it went away the moment the fake laughs of Belle and her friends drift past. Her smirk seemed to disintegrate into a look of pain as she hunched forwards. "Jacob. Hello? Anyone in there?" Carlos waved a hand in front of my face. Jerking back I slip the paper into my pocket with my phone.

"It's nothing." Looking down I flip the book open to the unit we're working on and pretend to read it. Thankfully Carlos and Dexter leave me be. Again I glance at Carmen to find her watching me. She nods before climbing from her seat and walking to the teachers desk. Confused I lift my head to look at her properly. As does everyone else.

She pulled something from her pocket and placed it in the center of the desk. A small sculpture of the devil. Diablo. As she turns she locked eyes with me before breaking away and sitting back down. The moment she sat a tall woman entered. She was not Mz Blair. When she saw the devil on her desk she instantly looked at Carmen.

"Oh great. I have little miss know it all in my first reliever class." She plucked the devil from her desk and threw it into the bin. Carmen snickers.

"Oh you remember the time I ruined your last job then. Such a pity. I was 13 and still got you fired because you couldn't prove me wrong. You were good. But not good enough. Also, I hope you told Eddy you were coming here. Because if you didn't then you're going to be in big trouble because I just did." Carmen grinned as the woman suddenly fled. "Class dismissed due to the lack of a teacher." Carmen grabbed her things as she spoke and walked to of the room. It wasn't long before everyone else was packing up to leave.

I however stayed behind. Waving my friends on. I sat there. Not sure what to do. The woman was a Diablo. I just know it and I know Carmen knew too. How, I don't know. All I know now is Carmen is definately not the girl I had originally bullied. How she could change in a couple days however is not something I'm sure I actually want to know. Not anymore.