Chapter 19

The blood test would take a few days to cross match, so Emma went back to the familiar hospital room after taking off the band-aid. She didn't want to tell him that she had been tested because he would object. He would never take anything from her that would hurt her.

A nurse was holding up a bin into which he was vomiting blood again. She hurried over and began rubbing his back. He leaned back finally and the nurse left. Emma picked up a tissue and wiped his mouth before handing him a small cup of water. Moaning, he curled into a ball. "I know," she whispered, "I'm sorry."

"It's my..own fault," he told her while panting.

She sat on the edge of the bed, "It's not fair."

Killian tried to smile at her and then took her hand and kissed it, "Life's not fair, love..though I though that it would be the cancer." Tears filled her eyes. "You're so beautiful," he commented softly.

Tears sprang free, "As I'm crying?" A laugh that was more of a sob escaped her lips.

"You just are." He looked around and sighed tiredly, "Can we go to the docks?" He noticed her hesitation. "I know, but please, Em.."

He was so weak, but she couldn't deny him. She ran a hand through his hair, "I'll go see what I can do."

-)(-

Whale rejected the idea at first, he told her that he was too sick and too weak. Eventually he agreed as long as it was a short trip and he was in a wheelchair with his IV.

Emma returned to the room with a nurse pushing along a wheelchair. "Ready?" She smiled at him and came closer to the bed. They were just going to leave the hospital gown on him. The nurse came closer and they both slowly pulled him to a sitting position.

"Sit here for a few and then we'll get you into the chair. You've lost a lot of blood, you're probably dizzy," the nurse said. They waited for a minute and then put Killian's arms over their shoulders. "One three. One, two, three," she told them and they lifted him up.

No way would he have been able to stand without them, they almost completely supporting him until he was finally in the wheelchair. Emma grabbed the thin blue blanket off the bed and wrapped it around his shoulders while the nurse hung the IV bag on a pole connected to the chair. After she hung the bag, she set a bowl in his lap. "You two are all set, take it easy."

-)(-

He had thrown up once in the car, but was fine the rest if the way to the docks. Fine, of course, meaning fine for him. His breathing was shallow, face was pale, and he was in obvious pain.

They arrived and Emma got the wheelchair out of the back and helped him into it and put the blanket back around his shoulders. Silently, she pushed the chair out to the end of the dock and sat down on the wood to hang her feet over the edge. She rested her head on his thigh and he set his hand in top of her hair.

They watched the water move slowly and listened to the sound of the ripples.

"Do you think dying will hurt?" Killian whispered after some time.

Tears sprang free from her eyes and she shook her head, "No, I don't."

"But it'll hurt you.."

A sob escaped her lips before she reigned it back in. "I'll..I'll be alright."

"I'm so sorry, Emma..this is what I was afraid of. I never wanted to hurt you," a sob escaped his own lips and Emma got on her knees so that they were eye level. She knew there was more to it.

"I would take a few months with you over nothing at all. I told you that I wanted this." She wiped the tears off his cheeks and kissed his forehead. "I can see in your eyes, you think I'm going to leave. I'm not, I'm not going anywhere."

Killian looked into her eyes and nodded. "Okay."

They spent about an hour there and ended up vomiting twice. By the second time, she had insisted that they go back to the hospital.

-)(-

He slept most of the day and through the night, only waking up to puke up some more blood. Emma went home for a while to clean up and then took him to Regina's before heading back to the hospital.

When he woke up the first thing he said was that he wanted to go home. For reasons that he didn't want to die in a hospital. She had cried again and then went to talk to Dr. Whale.

He had agreed because there was nothing more they could do for him there and sent them home with pain medications and instructions that he would send a nurse over with an IV among other things later. Emma, not trusting to leave him alone, took him back to her house and set him up in her bedroom. The nurse came an hour later and set up the IV bag and hung a bag of blood to supplement all that he had been losing. Before leaving, she showed Emma how to take it out if need be.

-)(-

He'd slept most of the day, claiming the medication made him sleepy.

Emma laid down around eleven and found him awake, staring at the ceiling. She curled into his side and he wrapped an arm around her waist. "Are you in pain?" She asked softly.

Killian shrugged, "No more than usual." Emma nodded. "I just-" he sighed and shook his head.

Emma's brows furrowed, "What?"

"I just wish I had more time."

Emma leaned up and kissed him, not caring about all the blood he had vomited that day. He kissed her back slowly as his fingers twined in her hair. He roamed around her mouth, causing a dormant part of Emma to spark to life.

They stayed gentle, never moving too fast.

His hand found the hem of her shirt and he hesitated. She nodded against his mouth, her breathing heavy. Together, they freed her of her shirt and threw it to the other side of the room. His hand roamed around, felt the slope of her stomach, she could feel his hand shaking.

She took his hand and places it over top of her black bra. Moaning, she kissed him again and trailed down his neck to the start of his shirt.

They ended up taking the IV out like the nurse had shown her, which was very unsexy, and then removing his shirt.

His breath was warm on her mouth and so was his body. She kissed down his chest and stopped at his belly button before coming back up.

"You're so beautiful," Killian murmured against her lips.

It was like nothing she had ever experienced with Neal, it was beautiful, like home. She had finally found her home.