Chapter 20

Emma woke up in the morning, quite naked, to a text message Ana. It explained that she was a match and that she could bring him in whenever if she still wanted to do it. She sighed and rolled over to face Killian and gently shake him awake. His eyes opened slowly, he looked absolutely exhausted, probably from their activities of the night. "Good morning," she whispered and kissed him. 

"Morning, love," his said softly.

Emma smiled, "You're getting a liver today."

His eyes widened, "What? How?"

"They found something, but we need to go to the hospital," she hated lying to him, but figured it was probably for the best. 

It took a while, considering he was weak from last night, but eventually they both had clothes on and they were checking Killian into the hospital. Of course, she had called her parents while they were checking him into a room. They both told her that it would be alright.

-)(-

Emma had explained to the hospital staff about not telling Killian and no one fought her on it. They came and prepped im for surgery and then decided it was time to take him down to the operating room to make sure all the affairs were in order, what they were really doing was giving her time to get prepped for surgery herself. 

"You ready to go?" Ana asked and he nodded.

Emma leaned in and kissed him, "Don't do anything stupid." He kissed her again.

"I'll see you soon."

"Yes," she said more forcefully, "you will."

Ana took him away and a few minutes later another nurse took her to a different room and began quickly prepping her for surgery. 

-)(-

 Ana talked as she prepped her. "So, you'll be here for a'days and then we'll send you home with some pain medication. You'll have to be careful, don't lift anything heavy, and you'll get your stitches out in ten days. You'll be back to normal in about six weeks. Hook's recovery will take a bit longer because of how weak his is, so we'll see about the time frame." She finished up and then wheeled Emma down to the operating room. 

-)(-

Beep...Beep...Beep. Emma groaned and peeled back her eyes to a blinding light. Ana was next to her, checking some machines, she smiled. "Both surgeries were successful, Hook's in the next room. He still hasn't woken up, but we're hopeful, so you can go back to sleep. I'm just going to adjust your pain medication and then I'll be back in a few hours." Emma nodded her head just a few centimeters and then drifted off to sleep.

-)(-

The first few days were painful and awful, the medication helped though. On day five, Ana came with news of Killian. He had woken up two days after Emma and that was the only update they would give her as to not stress her out. Of course, she was already stressed out about not seeing him and she was pretty sure he hated her. She refused to let them tell him until she could see him and explain to him herself.

"He woke get up."

Emma's eyebrows furrowed and she groaned and pushed herself into a better sitting position. Her hair was a mess, but she was feeling better. "What do you mean?"

"Hook. He won't get up, or even sit up. They need him to or he's not going ot heal properly."

"Can I see him finally?"

"Technically we shouldn't let you, but yes. That's why I told you, we've tried everything. I'm going to get a wheelchair." She was back in a minute and then Emma began a painful process of getting out of bed again. Ana wheeled her into the next room slowly and opened the door.

She parked her next to the bed and left them alone. 

Killian's eyes were closed, but Emma reached out and touched his arm and his eyes slowly opened half way. "Wait.." His voice was soft, "Emma?"

She smiled a bit, "Hi."

"What..What happened to you? Where have you been?"

Emma squeezed his arm, "I gave you a piece of my liver..and you're throwing it away." He closed his eyes and turned his head away. "No, don't do that, I know what's going on. You need to get up."

"Em..I can't.." He had never sounded more broken than he did in that moment. "It hurts too much..and I don't want to hurt anymore.."

She pushed herself closer. "You can do this. Now take my hand, I'll call a nurse in here, and you will stand up because you know you need to and because I said so." Emma held her hand out and waited. 

"It hurts.."

Emma nodded, "I know, now take my hand, it's going to be okay."

Killian nodded and took her hand in his while Emma pressed the call button and Ana came in. "Are we ready?" He nodded and Emma squeezed his hand. "Alright, we're going to first get you in a sitting position and then you're going to stand. You can hold Emma's hand, only if you don't lean your weight on her." 

"Okay.." He whispered and a lone tear slipped down his cheek. 

"Alright." Ana began helping him into a sitting position as his face contorted in pain. Emma could tell that he was trying not to squeeze her hand, just like when they did that first test. 

"You can squeeze," Emma echoed herself from that day, "I'm not going to break. I know it hurts." Finally he did just as he was finally in a sitting position. 

"Okay, take a quick break and then we'll get you standing." Ana stepped back to the side of the room. 

"You're almost there," Emma told him and kissed the top of his hand. His face was still contorted in pain and he nodded a bit. 

Ana came back over and took his arm without the hand and nodded her head. He did his best and didn't lean on Emma, only on Ana heavily as he painfully stood up. His breathing was labored as he finally was on his feet. Emma looked to Ana and she nodded. 

Putting a hand on his bed, Emma slowly pushed herself to stand up next to him. They matched, IV bags and hospital gowns. She put her free hand on his cheek and kissed him. It seemed to relax him a bit before she broke away and kissed his forehead. "Not so bad."

"It hurts," he told her through clenched teeth. 

"Only a few more seconds and then you can sit down," Ana said. A few seconds passed and then she helped him lay back down on the bed. Emma stayed standing and looked to the nurse.

"Can I stay for a little while?" Ana nodded.

"Of course, just be gentle, both of you."

"Scooch," Emma whispered and then slowly laid down in bed next to him and intertwined their fingers. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

"Thank you," he whispered, his breathing still heavy.

"I'd give you every piece of my life, but for now you just needed a small bit." 

He took a deep breath, "I love you, Emma Swan."

She turned her head, surprised, "I love you too, Killian Jones."