Chapter 7

The nurse, Monica, went gone to get Emma as soon as she had finished the bed. Even though her patient was still in the bathroom, everything was cleaned up. When they returned to the room, Hook was still in the bathroom, but they'd only been a minute or so.

Hook came out of the bathroom a few seconds later; Emma was still standing and Monica was in the room still. His eyes widened as they rested on Emma, obviously not expecting her. "Um," his face reddened, "I can't-I just-." He gestured to his back and the gown he was holding together. She understood after a moment and went behind him to tie the strings together. "Thanks," he muttered and then sat on the bed. Monica came and rehooked up the chemo to his arm and then left them alone.

Emma stood closer to him, "Please try not to do that again," she smiled softly.

Hook finally met her eyes and offered a small smile in return, "Sorry, lass."

Later she might put it off to a lack of sleep from the night before, or maybe just stress, but in that moment it was the only thing she could think of. All of her walls crumpled in an instant and years flooded her eyes, making everything hard to see. Maybe it was how broken he looked, or even just how tired he seemed to be, but Emma leaned in and wrapped her arms around him.

"Emma?" Killian breathed in her ear. He seemed just as shocked as she was, but wrapped his arms around her, being careful of the IV.

She held on to him, unwilling to let go, but finally pulled away. "Sorry, I just.." Emma tried to explain, but couldn't find the words.

"Is everything alright, lass?" Hook brushed a singled tear away from her cheek.

She nodded, "I was just so scared when you started having a seizure. I didn't know what was going to happen. I'm okay." Her phone buzzed and she bent to read the incoming text message. "That's Henry. School's out." Hook nodded. "I can come pick you up in the morning when you're done." She smiled a bit and then left him alone, feeling slightly embarrassed.

-)(-

"Hey kid," Emma smiled as Henry jumped in the car, "how was school?"j

"Good, I really don't like math though," he set his bag in the back and buckled.

Emma laughed, "Don't worry, I never liked it either." She started the short drive to their home only about a minute away.

"So," Henry started, "did you go?"

"I did."

He looked at her expectantly, "Annnnnd?"

"He's sick, and I'm going to pick him up in the morning from his treatment," she shrugged and pulled into the driveway.

"Come on, that's all I get?" He whined and pulled his backpack from the back seat.

Emma rolled her eyes, "He's sick, kid, not much more to it." Pulling out her keys, she unlocked the door and set her purse on the kitchen counter. "Is your room clean?" Henry groaned.

-)(-

"Is he done?" Emma was standing near the nurses station after dropping Henry off at school. Monica was still in the hospital and one of the few who were looking over papers.

She nodded, "Ana just pulled him off. He's been having an intense reaction to the drugs, so we finally gave him something to sleep, you may have to wake him up. Once he's up, we can bring him out to whoever is picking him up, which I'm assuming is you." Emma thanked her and then made her way down the hallway to Hook's room.

-)(-

He was pale. That was the main feature she noticed upon entering the white hospital room. Dark circles lined the unders of his eyes and he was curled in on himself. Emma moved closer to the bed and put a hand on his shoulder. "Hey," she said softly, "time to wake up." She rubbed his back and watched his eyes began to peel open.

"Swan?" Hook groaned and curled up further.

"Yeah, it's me, you're done for today." He nodded slowly and Emma helped him sit up. "Steady," she breathed as he swayed. Turning around, she went to leave.

"Emma, wait," his slow, quiet voice sounded and cause her to turn. His eyes were rimmed red and defeat lined his face. "Just...can you just sit a moment?" He didn't look at her when he asked.

Emma nodded and came to sit gingerly on the bed. Her leg fit next to his and she could feel his heat through her jeans. "Is everything alright?"

Killian shrugged, "I just...I don't know."

She nodded, "Alright." Putting a hand on his bare knee, he was still wearing a hospital gown, and she felt him lean into her a bit. "It's going to be okay."

He looked at her and held up his only hand that had started to spasm. "How is this going to be okay? How?" His eyes seemed to glisten, but it may have been a trick of the light.

Emma slowly reached her hand up and rested it on his cheek. "I don't know. I wish I had the answer. I'm sorry I don't, but I do know that you're not alone." Leaning in, she wrapped her arms around him. Killian didn't do anything at first, but he finally took his spasming hand and put it around her waist and fitted his head to her shoulder.

"I feel bloody awful," he murmured.

Emma pulled back and smiled just a little. "Go change and then we can go." She stood up and noticed his hand has stopped spasming before holding and hand out to help him up. Sitting on the bed after he had grabbed his clothes and hook, she waited.

-)(-

She drove him to Granny's and made sure he got a room. On a whim, she made sure that he could get upstairs. "I'll be fine, Swan," he commented halfway up.

"I know."

She continued with him inside the room once he had unlocked it. "Make sure you get some sleep; the nurse told me that you didn't much last night. I'll come check on you later, I have some errands I need to run."

Hook sat on the couch, tired from just going up stairs. "Don't worry about me, I'll be fine."

She shrugged, "I'm still coming by later, just in case." she squeezed his shoulder and left him alone, worry settling into her chest.

IM SO SORRY THIS TOOK SO LONG. I HAD WRITERS BLOCK. I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH.