Chapter 5

They'd kept him overnight at the hospital and she had driven home after she got him to lay down.

Her mother came running over to hug her, which felt nice, "Oh my gosh, what happened? Regina came over and said Hook was acting strangely and you had to take him to the hospital."

Emma nodded into her shoulder before pulling back and encompassing them both in her gaze. "They took him and ran some tests and Dr. Whale confirmed that it was brain cancer. Before that they did some kind of bone marrow tests and Hook blacked out."

"Oh, Emma," David stepped forward beside Snow, "I'm so sorry. How's he doing?"

Henry came into the kitchen from one of the back bedroom, "Wait, does Captain Hook have cancer? How?" Emma nodded, but was unable to explain it again.

"He's still at the hospital, they wanted to keep him there for observation. They want to start treatment tomorrow morning and they already have him on some kind of steroids." She paused, but decided to continue, "Um, when they told him what he had, he started laughing like a maniac. Apparently it's because of where the tumor resides, but it was so odd."

"Is he okay? I mean, I know he has cancer and all, but is okay? Like emotionally?" Her mother's face was creased with worry.

Emma shrugged, "I don't really know. He's not very open about feelings if you haven't noticed."

David nodded, "I understand."

"Are you going to go see him?" Henry's eyes were hopeful. Ever since he had gotten his memories back, he's taken a liking to trying to get them together.

She gave him a small smile, "Maybe tomorrow kid, it's getting late."

"Awe, but it's only 8:30."

"Hook's probably sleeping. He had a long day. Speaking of, you should probably start getting ready for bed soon, you have school in the morning."

"Finnnnnnneee, but you have to go see him tomorrow."

"I'll probably stop by when he's getting his treatment. Now, get going," smiling, she spun him around and gave him a gently push toward his bedroom. Sighing, she turned back to her parents. "This is going to be a long road for him," she muttered.

David came over and squeezed her tightly, "It'll be alright. Hook's tough."

"And he has you," her mother added and smiled a bit. Emma knew that she meant well, but it was a little unnerving to have her parents all for 'Team Hook' or whatever that reference was.

Stepping into the kitchen, she poured herself a glass of wine and sipped slowly. "This battle isn't physical, and I can't really help anyone fight. I'm useless now."

"You're not useless," they said in unison.

Snow continued, "You care for him, don't deny it, Emma, that's all that really matters. Sometimes the best thing is to have someone beside you when you're not yourself." She glanced over to Charming and he kissed her forehead.

"Alright," she was extremely tired, "I think I'm going to lay down. Henry will be in bed by 9:30. Goodnight." She hugged them both and then trudged off to her room to flop on the bed.

-)(-

"TIme for school, kid! You're going to be late!" Emma hollared to the back bedroom as she made Henry's lunch.

"I'm coming, I'm coming." Backpack in hand, he took the made lunch and stuck it in. "See you after school," he told her and she kissed his forehead.

"Have a good day!" She shouted just before the door closed. Sighing, she took a sip of her coffee and then grabbed her purse. Scribbling a note down on the counter, she headed out the door and to her yellow Beetle.