Chapter 27

"It's just going to be small, there's not much..time left," Emma explained to her mother that afternoon in the diner. The nurse was in their home and she needed a break; Rae was sleeping peacefully in her arms.

"Oh, Emma," her mother beamed at her, "it's going to be wonderful! Where were you thinking of having it?"

And the planning commenced.

They planned for it to be in the town square, at the gazebo. Regina made the flowers bloom around and Mary Margaret decorated it with twinkling lights. David got the word out with Grumpy and then the town started to pitch in. Mother Superior offered to officiate and the bakery downtown promised to have a cake ready within the week, everything came together quite easily..for the most part.

-/-

"Do I have to do the whole white dress thing?" Emma groaned as she was dragged by her mother into the only dress shop in town while Rae was with David and Killian at the house.

"Yes, no exceptions," she told her firmly. Emma had been moaning the entire trip and they'd only just arrived.

The Royal Dresser back in Fairy Tale Land owned the dress shop called Royal Designs, it was a quaint little shop with a moderate sized collection. As soon as they came through the door, the older woman came running with a tape measure and started to examine Emma. "I heard about the wedding, congratulations dear!"

Wide eyed, she turned to her mother who laughed. "Oh Martha, thank you for seeing us on such short notice,"

Martha rolled her eyes, "Being nice as always, you know we don't get much business here what with everyone already married and such." She turned to Emma, "Now, what are we looking for? Strapless? Sweetheart? Sequins? Lace? Big? Lots of volume?"

She laughed nervously, "Just simple."

"Oh, alright, I think I have just the thing," she sighed and left them in the doorway to head for the back.

The pair led themselves to the showing room on the right and waited for a minute or two until Martha came back out with a dress bag which hid the actual wedding dress. "You take this into the changing room now and come out when you're ready," the woman smiled like she already knew how Emma would react.

With a raised eyebrow to her mother, she took the bag and headed to the room to her left.

Hanging the bag up on a hook, she slowly pulled the zipper down to reveal a strapless white gown; it had an overlay of lace, a bow to tie in the black, and it had just a bit of volume. She slipped it off the hanger inside the bag and undid the zipper before stepping inside. As she pulled the dress up, the silky material caressed her legs, and then she held it in place over her chest and looked in the mirror as the zipper was too difficult for her to reach.

Emma did a small twirl and smiled a little as the dress swirled and when she went out to her mother, she gasped. "Oh, it's absolutely beautiful," Mary Margaret exclaimed and Martha smirked.

"Can you do it up?"

Her mother bustled forward and set to the zipper and then to make the bow. Martha came forward with a simple white veil with little pearls in the netting and set it into Emma's hair. "Perfect," the woman whispered as they all gazed into the large mirror.

-/-

"How'd it go today?" Killian asked as she came home that afternoon. David was in the back with Rae still so they were alone.

She surveyed his appearance immediately, gauging his complexion and pain levels, and came back with a slightly satisfactory report. "Great, things are almost ready for Sunday." She kissed him.