Chapter 6

"I knew you'd be back."

The words caused Emma's head to rise from the speckled table in the hospital cafeteria. "You always seems to just pop out of nowhere," she commented upon seeing the nurse Anastasia again.

Anastasia shrugged, "Part of the job, I guess."

"Is there something I can do for you? I'm not really in the mood for company right now." Not in the mood was an understatement, her brain felt it was going to pound out of her skull.

"Here," she said, ignoring the comment, and opening her palm to reveal two white circles; Emma stared at them without understanding. "It's just Tylenol, for the headache."

"How did you-" she stared to ask, but realized she probably didn't want to know the answer. Gratefully, she took the pills and downed them with her almost-cold coffee. "Thanks, Anastasia."

She inclined her head. "You can call me Ana, really, it's much easier." Emma nodded. "How's he taking the first dose?"

"He was sleeping when I left, that was around an hour ago, so I guess he's fine." Worry bubbled in her chest at just the thought of something happening to him.

"Small tip, there's a small grey bin in the bedside drawer for chemo patients. It's likely that if he will vomit, it'll start within the first hour," Ana informed her. Dr. Whale hadn't provided much extra information, but the nurses seemed much more willing to help. Emma asked if she knew anything else helpful. "Of course," she smiled brightly, "but the biggest one is to just be patient. He won't be able to do things like he used to, and that will be a big challenge. It seems to me that Hook is very independent, some of that freedom with diminish with time if he gets sicker, so be prepared." Seeing Emma's look of almost-horror, she stopped, "Oh, I'm so sorry, I assumed you'd be his primary caretaker. Was I mistaken?"

"Uhm...uh.." She was saved from having to answer when another nurse came rushing into the cafeteria out of breath.

"Ms. Swan," she puffed, "Captain Hook told us not to get you, but he's in a lot of pain and is throwing up every few minutes. Please come." Emma gave an apologetic look to Ana and then dashed off after the nurse, not exactly comprehending what was going on.

-)(-

They made it safely to Hook's room and Emma went inside. There was another nurse in the room, maybe in her forties with dark brown hair and a concerned expression weighing down her face. She held a grey bin under Killian's mouth as he threw up whatever he had eaten the night before. Moaned, he curled his feet up to his chest and laid on his side.

Emma quickly went over to the side of the bed so that he would be facing her, and put a hand to his forehead, it was cool despite the condition he was in.

"Swan? I told them it was fine," he sounded out of breath and his voice came out like a whisper

"You most certainly are not fine if you didn't noticed." She brushed the sweat slicked hair back off his forehead and he leaned into her cool touch.

The brown haired nurse spoke up. "Patient does not have a fever, complains of severe stomach pains, and has had long bouts of vomiting." She spoke if Hook like he wasn't in the room and Emma was a doctor.

"Have you given hun anything for it?" She asked as she kept her hand to his forehead.

"We sent out a request, but it still needs to be approved," she explained in an unfeeling voice.

Her motherly instincts were kicking in and although Hook was no child, he definitely needed someone to help him fight his battles. "So what? He just gets to sit here in pain?"