Chapter 9

"Bloody hell."

Emma groaned and woke up to Hook banging around in the kitchen. She looked around and saw him in a tee-shirt and sweats banging around with a coffee pot. It seemed like he was to make a pot, but she was pretty sure he'd never tried before, let alone succeeded.

"Everything okay?" She laughed just a bit.

Hook turned to see her and his face turned beet red, "Shit, I'm sorry, I was trying to...I don't even know."

Emma giggled and came to stand beside him in the kitchen; this close she could see dark circles and his pale face. "Let me help." She picked up the coffee pot with only slightly yellowed water and dumped it down the drain. "Now, we can start fresh." Pulling out a coffee filter, she put it in the plastic holder. "Put three scoops of the coffee grounds in here," she instructed and then filled the water holder. Hook did as she told him, his face still slightly red. "Now, you just flip the top and it'll make the coffee."

He looked at her in some sort of amazement, "That's it?"

She smiled, "That's it."

"Strange."

Turning to him, she asked, "Wait, do you even drink coffee?"

Hook blushed again, she found it endearing, and he did that thing where he scratched his head when he felt awkward. "No, um, I do not actually."

"Then what were you doing?"

"I just-I know you like coffee, so I guess I was just trying to say thank you...for helping me," his gaze was downcast by the time he was finished.

Emma tipped his chin up to meet her eyes, "Thank you for the coffee." To by pass any awkwardness indued after that, she reached around him and opened a cupboard to grab a cup and then filled it. Putting it to her lips, she took a sip. "Mhm, perfect. Wanna try?" She offered the cupand was met with a disgusted look. "Come on, you made it so you have to try it."

He groaned, "Fine." Taking the cup, he put it to his lips. "That's vile!" His face contorted and he handed it back like it had burned him.

Emma laughed while trying not to spill her coffee, "It's an acquired taste." She walked into the living room to sit on the couch and Hook followed her. Gently, she leaned into his shoulder and then tuned on the television

-)(-

They spent the day together, mostly just watching the screen because Hook wasn't up to much else.

"Are you sure you don't have anything else to do, lass?" Hook asked later that evening.

Emma shook her head, "I'm sure, I have nothing else to do."

"Because I don't want to keep you."

"I have nothing else I could be doing today. It's actually kind of nice to just relax," she told him, trying to ease the guilt he seemed to feel.

He nodded and relaxed back into the couch, "Alright."

"Are you hungry? We haven't eaten all day."

He shrugged, "Not really, I still feel kind of nauseous."

"You should eat something at least. Toast with peanut butter sound any good?"

"Never had it."

Emma gasped, "You've never had toast with peanut butter? It's like a food group." Her mind flashed to the orphanage where she used to always eat it.

"Never," he was smiling now.

"I don't care if you're hungry or not, you have to try this." Getting up, she went to the kitchen and popped a piece of bread in the toaster and waited. When it came out it was perfectly golden. The peanut butter was at the top shelf so she had to stand on her tip toes while Hook smirked behind her. "Shut up," she laughed as she began spreading it onto the warm bread, it started to melt just a bit.

Bringing it out on a plate just a few minutes later, she handed it to him. "You promise it won't be like that black, vile subtance."

"I promise. Now try it."

He gave her one more suspicious glance before taking a small bite. After chewing for a short smile, he smiled just a bit, "That is the simplest meal I've had yet."

Emma rolled her eyes, "Did you like it though?"

"Not bad, but I shouldn't take another bite. My stomach thinks it's not such a bright idea."

Shrugging, she ate a few bites and then set it aside.

-)(-

At ten Emma suggested that Hook go to bed. "You've got another chemo session in the morning."

He groaned, "Fantastic."

Emma put a hand to his back for a moment before standing up. "Come on, go get changed."

"I feel like you're treating me like a two year old."

It would have been funny, had there not been venom behind the words. Personality changes. She knew they were coming because Dr. Whale had warned her. "I'm sorry," she tried, but he shook his head.

"That doesn't fix anything. You're sorry? Bullshit. Maybe you should just leave."

"Go get changed, Killian," she said calmly, trying not to fight back.

"Don't tell me what to do!" He had advanced on her, making her senses heighten.

"Just back up and go get changed. This isn't you." Hook continued to come forward and Emma put a hand out to stop him. "Don't came any closer."

He smirked, "Why? Are you afraid?"

"You're scaring me, this isn't you," she admitted, his face only inches from hers. "It's the tumor."

Anger flashed in his eyes, "Stop trying to control me!" His fist came back and then she blacked out to the sound of a crash.

-)(-

"Swan....Emma..Please wake up."

She groaned and opened her eyes to see a distraught Hook looking over her. Slowly, she started to sit up. "How long was I out?"

"Less than a minute. Emma, I don't know what happen. I'm so sorry." He looked awful and his eyes seemed to be shinning. His fist also seemed to be red.

She nodded, "It's okay, it wasn't you, it was the tumor."

"It felt like me," he whispered without looking at her.

Emma scooted closer to him, "It wasn't you. I know you, and that was not who you are. You would never hurt me."

"I was going to though. I came to just before and hit the wall instead."

She looked down to his hand which was in his lap. "Let me see." Gently, she took his hand and surveyed it. There were a few cuts on his knuckles, but nothing deep. Leaning in, she kissed his hand carefully. "You'll live," she smiled a bit despite the situation.

"Emma.."

"Go get changed, it's late," she told him. Nodding, he got up slowly and went to the bathroom. When he had shut the door she went and sat on the edge of the bed.

She stayed sitting when he came out. When he saw her, he went to the other aide and sat down. Emma, know this was awkward, sat up against the headboard and stretched her feet out in front of her. "Lay down," she said softly and put a hand on his shoulder. Killian nodded and she directed him down so that his head was laying on her side and her arm was around him. Slowly, he reached his arm around her waist. She began humming and started rubbing his back.

"Emma.."

She shook her head, "Shhh, just sleep. We can talk more tomorrow, it's okay." Leaning in, she kissed the top of his head.