Chapter 26

Medications lined the bathroom counter just like before, but they were different this time. Morphine, Prozac, Corticosteroids, Zofran, and about five others she could pronounce, they were for pain, depression, the cancer, and vomiting. Emma opened a few bottles and poured some pills into her palm; it was like a rainbow in her hand. With a glass of water in hand, she carried the pills out to the living room.

"How are you?" She questioned, putting down the rails of the bed. The large couch that used to be in the center of the room had been pushed to the side and was replaced with a home hospital bed. It all went downhill so fast and now he could barely walk. In the morning, she'd moved Killian to the living room from the bedroom and a nurse would come hook up some medication some days and others leave them to their little peace.

"I'm alright, love. I'm sorry I kept you up," he said softly and took the pills and water from her. Around two in the morning he'd woken them both up screaming and just couldn't stop. Emma had spent the better part of five hours rocking him and their child on and off; when he screamed, the baby ended up screaming.

She kissed his forehead, "No harm done, and Rae's still tired enough that she'll be down for another few hours." Killian smiled and shifted the cannula enough that she had to reach in and adjust it around his nose. She took the glass back and placed it on the coffee table, "Are you in pain? How's the headache?"

Killian took her hand and brought it to his lips, "Quit worrying, it's okay." He could see her just barely holding on by a thread, and that thread was running thin.

Tears pricked her eyes, "I just...I'm sorry." Emma shook her head and turned so that she wasn't facing him, he didn't need to take care of her; she felt a tug on the back of her tee shirt anyways.

"Turn around and look at me, Em, I'm still right here, you don't need to hide from me. I want to see your face," Killian pleaded and tugged again. Emma turned and he pulled her down to his chest and started rubbing her back. "You are the great love of my life, Emma Swan, and I am so, so sorry for doing this to you. I never wanted this, I never wanted to put you through this pain," he felt her sob against his chest and he held her tighter, "and every moment I wish I could change it. You are so strong and so beautiful, and.." he gave an airy laugh, "I wanted to do this a different way. Love, I need you to do something for me."

Emma sat up from his chest and rubbed her eyes, "What is it?"

"Sock drawer, way in the back there's a pair of red one, can you bring them?"

She nodded and made her way to the bedroom. Opening the top drawer, she dug her hand way to the back and pulled out the pair and went back to the living room.

He took the socks, "And now can you help me sit up?"

Emma hesitated, "You should be resting, not straining yourself."

"Come on, please."

As if she could resist, "Well, okay, but tell me if we need to stop." She set to mechanically moving the bed down so he could touch the floor and then helped him so his feet were over the edge. Killian was holding his own weight, from the waist up at least, alright so she let him be.

He unfolded the socks and stuck his hand inside one. "I've been waiting for the perfect moment, but it seems I've run out of time."

"What are you doing?"

Killian smiled, "You know full well. Now, Emma Swan, you are my savior, my true love, and my life. My heart beats for you, and I know that you are the only reason it has continued to beat on multiple occasions. I know I don't have much time left, but I want to spend that time with you, as my wife..if you'll have me, of course. Emma Swan, will you marry me?" He held the ring he had pulled from the sock in his hand and waited.

She stared at him, just stunned, and then a wide smile broke out across her tear streaked face. "Yes, yes of course!" Emma kissed him and he slipped the ting onto her finger.

"I love you so much," he whispered into her ear as she wrapped her arms around him.

"And I love you." For a moment, her fiancé wasn't dying in less than a month and it was just a perfect moment of bliss.