Chapter 12

Three days after Hook came out of surgery, Dr. Whale came into the room. A nurse had just been and left after checking Hook's vitals, so he was slightly awake.

"Goodmorning," he smiled, "I've been following your progress over the last few days and I think it's time to get that vent out of your throat. After we remove it, well give you a few minutes to relax, but then we have to get you up and moving. We'll start decreasing your medication too so that you're more awake and can focus longer than a few moments. Just nod if you understand." Hook nodded lazily. "Great. I can remove those restraints, too."

First, he raised the bed so that Hook was sitting up and then set to checking the settings of the machine.

Emma smiled just a bit at Hook because even though the situation was awful, she really just wanted to here his voice again.

Whale looked to Emma, "You can stay in here or go."

She turned to Killian and saw his eyes pleading. "I'll wait outside, let know when you're done." Squeezing his hand once more, she went to sit in some chairs in the hallway.

-)(-

Dr. Whale came out about twenty minutes later ap-nd nodded for her to go in. "We have him sitting up in a chair right now, so that's good progress already. A nurse will be in back in a short while to help him back into bed." Emma thanked him and then walked straight to the room.

Immediately upon entering the room and seeing him with only the feeding tube and IV, she rushed forward and put her arms around him. He gave a short gasp and then put his arms around her. "Hello, lass," he said, his voice hoarse.

"Hi," she said softly, still gently holding on to him.

He have just a soft chuckle, "I missed you too."

She pulled back and sat in a chair next to him. Now that he was out of that bed, she could see how thin he was again. Everything seemed to be shrinking. His hand still held a slight tremor and his smile seemed quite forced, but Emma didn't care in that moment; he looked alive, more than the last few days at least.

"How are you feeling?" Emma asked as she put a hand on his.

"Like my throat has been rubbed with sandpaper for the last few days and my head was hit with a large hammer."

"Be grateful they still have you on quite a bit of meds," Emma joked.

"Oh yeah, I love being able to think only one thought and practically be drooling," his tone was slightly bitter, but she did notice then how slow his speech was.

"You're not drooling," was the only thing she could think of.

"Practically, Swan. I have a headache so painful right now that I'm pretty sure it's killing brain cells," he tried his smirk, but even he knew it failed miserably, "and I'm so tired."

Sybella, one of the nurses, came in right then and smiled, "Well, I'm here right in time then. Let's get you back in bed, hun." She took his arm and helped him stand, Emma could then see why a nurse was necessary to get him back i bed. Killian was weak. It looked as if he could barely hold his own weight, as Sybella was straining under him. Emma quickly took his other arm to help distribute the weight more evenly, and helped him into bed. Sybella nodded her head discreetly in thanks.

As soon as Killian was laying in bed, he was asleep. Emma kissed his forehead lightly, "I'll be back in a few," she whispered.

-)(-

"Emma? Is everything okay?" Regina's face held concern as Emma stepped inside her home, Henry was already at school.

"I need your help."

-)(-

"So I can heal him? Why didn't you tell me this earlier?" They were in Regina's crypt.

"Emma, the spell has consequences, I thought you might have just been better with the modern medicine," she said as she scanned the page, "balance has to be restored."

"What consequences?" Regina had said they were listed on the page, but the whole thing was in another language.

"He will get much worse. Much. You can just magically cure someone of a deadly illness without cost, all magic comes with a price," she echoed Rumple, "and even then, it might not work." Emma saw something in her eyes that reminded her of an earlier conversation.

"You used it on that man, didn't you?"

Regina sighed and shut the spell book, "I don't want to talk about it. Just don't even think about that spell until it's truly necessary. I'll teach you a simple healing spell for the surgery instead."

-)(-

Emma went home for then night and the next day brushed her teeth, hair, and then put on a different pair of clothes before going back to the hospital. She stopped at the nurses' station to talk to Ana before finding the room again.

"How was he last night?"

"He had a long night from what I gather, I was in there a few times and he was never asleep. I can't believe he's fighting off the effects of the drugs so well, most people would be completely gone with that much in their systems. He seems lonely, you should go in," she smiled sadly and nodded. Emma thanked her and then turned to go down the hallway.

His room wasn't that far down the hall and soon she was opening the glass door.

Ana was right, he probably hadn't slept at all the night before, the dark circles were evident and his eyes seemed to droop, nonetheless, they were open and staring at nothing. His eyes didn't even flicker over to her as she walked in. "Killian?" She said softly as she came to stand next to the bed.

He looked at her finally and tried to smile, "Morning, lass."

"I heard you had a long night."

He shrugged, "I guess."

She sat down gently on his bed, "Do you trust me?"

His eyes focused on hers, "With my life."

Emma smiled, "Good." She reached up and gently undid the bandages on his head to reveal and ugly cut going from his temple to the back of his head.

"Emma, don't look at it, stop." He tried push her hands away, but was too weak to acomplish much.

"Trust me," she whispered without looking at him and hovered her hands above his head. "Sana. Signa autem cædebant. Sana. Signa autem cædebant. Sana. Signa autem cædebant." She could feel heat coming from her hands and saw Killian cringe. Looking over, she saw the large cut start to close and soon the only thing left was a scar. "There," she smiled.

He reached his hand up and felt the side of his head tentatively, "What did you just do?"

"I healed it, I'll have to let Dr. Whale look at it before you can leave, but that should help you a little." Despite being healed, he still looked awful and broken and lonely. "Scooch," she instructed and he did. Emma laid down next to him and put an arm around his waist.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm pretty sure your eyes still work, pirate."

"I told you that I can't sleep." His voice was soft and his forehead pressed against hers.

"I know," her face came closer to his.

"Then what?" His voice was husky and, despite being sick, a little color returned to his cheeks.

Something came over her, andEmma's eye lids closed and she moved forward just an inch.....only to be interrupted by the door opening.