Chapter 14

Emma made it to her car and sobs wracked her body. She pounded the steering wheel just to hit something. Everyone she had ever loved always seemed to die. The thought reentered her mind, did she really love Hook? She went over the last few months in her mind and came up with a fuzzy conclusion. It seemed to be more likely than not.

Her sobs lessened and she wiped her eyes, she probably looked like a mess. Numbly, she drove to her parents’ house.

-)(-

The minute she opened the door to her parents’ house, all the heads turned to her. Her mother instantly jumped up and wrapped her arms around her and David got up and put the tea kettle on and then went and embraced both his daughter and wife. Henry sat on the couch and watched them all.

Her mother pulled back and wiped a few tears off her cheeks. "What happened? Is Hook okay?"

Emma shook her head and sniffled, "They said it might be tonight, he could barely even talk or lift his head."

"Oh Emma, I'm so sorry," she brushed a few strands of hair off her forehead.

Emma looked to Henry, "I'm sorry I had to leave, I didn't want to have to drop you off somewhere again." He looked at her for a moment before getting up and running over to hug her. Emma sighed, thankful for her son.

"I talked with grandpa and I don't mind sharing you with Hook I guess. I'll have to get used to it anyways," he muttered against her shoulder.

A few tears leaked down Emma's cheeks again, "I love you, kid."

"I love you too, mom," he said and pulled back. She ruffled his hair and then David handed her a cup of hot chocolate with cinnamon. They all went and sat in the living room together. Emma kept her phone close by, dreading having it ring.

They stayed with her late into the night, until Emma made Henry go to bed and then it was just her and her parents sitting in the living room.

-)(-

She jolted awake around four in the morning to her phone ringing. She had fallen asleep on her father's should, her mother was laying on her elbow on the other side of her. Fumbling around, she grabbed the phone and quickly hit the receive button.

"Hello?"

"Ms. Swan? It's Dr. Whale."

Emma got up from the couch and went into the living room, feeling her heart already dropping, "Please, no, tell me he's okay."

Whale cleared his throat, "He crashed 4 times in the last hour, but each time we were able to stabilize him again. You can stop holding your breath," he added, "I should have led with the fact that he's stable. His fever came down a little after the last time he crashed, the antibiotics kicked in so I think he's out of the woods. We moved him into a normal room just a few minutes ago and he's asking for you. Can you come down?"

Emma nodded before realizing he couldn't hear her, "I'll be right there." They hung up and Emma rubbed her eyes. She left a note for her parents in case they woke up and then ran out of the house.

-)(-

Monica saw her coming and met her halfway, "He's in room 437." She nodded and practically ran to the elevator.

She found the room easily and quickly opened the door to reveal the man she thought she'd never see again. He still looked awful, his face was pale, his hands shaky, and he had dark circles, but he was alive and partially awake.

His eyes opened to half-mast upon hearing the door open. "Emma.." He whispered and held out a hand for her to come closer. She practically ran to the bed and wrapped her arms around him. "I'm sorry..for scaring you," his breath was warm in her ear.