Chapter 29: Part 1

{{Side note: Whoever keeps reporting comments that are not offensive, please stop}}

With each passing day, he continued to get weaker. Everyone knew the time was coming and tried to be as discreet as possible when saying their goodbyes. Mary Margaret took Rae at night sometime because she could stand the thought of Emma waking up to a dead husband and immediately having a crying child. It would be too much. Each night, they were tormented by his moans and even scream of pain. Nightmares plagues his sleep and waking offered no relief to his suffering. It was like he was already gone sometimes, and Emma just wished his pain would end. It would hurt so much, but he meant more to her than to make him stay. She knew it was his time and that it was coming fast.

-/-

A light tapping on the small of her back woke her to the early morning light. Rolling over, she grasped the tapping hand in hers and kissed the palm. "Hm?"

Killian was staring at the ceiling, a permanent grimace of pain etched into his features. "This is it."

"What?" She couldn't have heard him right.

"It's going to be today," he reiterated quietly. His face was pale and his whole body was slightly shaking, there wasn't any way to argue it. "Please don't take me to the hospital, I can't die hooked up to machines." There wasn't any fight left in him any more, the cancer had taken all of it and left only a shell.

Emma's voice was quiet, "Okay. Are you..?"

A nod. "I'm sure, I can already feel it." She leaned in and kissed his cheek. Killian turned and stared unseeing with tears dripping down his cheeks. "I wish..I could see you one last time," his voice was hoarse. She touched her forehead to his and kissed his lips gently.

"My eyes are closed," she whispered against his mouth, "and I can see you just fine. Just imagine me when we first met, when I tried to kill you, imagine our first kiss, our first time, when our daughter was born, and somewhere in there, you'll find me...just like I'll always find you." He kissed her again and clung to the back of her sleep shirt. This was going to be the last time she could feel his breath on her mouth, the last time to desperately cling, the final moment they could share.

"I love you so much, it is more than anything I have ever love. From that first moment, I knew it was going to be you. It's always been you." She kissed him again, desperate this time, feeling him fading from her.

"Em, I love you and I will forever. I'm sorry I have to leave, I don't want to go." A breath caught in his throat and came out as a sob that wracked his frail form. "I..I don't wa-ant to go," he yelled, tears streaming down his face.

Nothing else to do, Emma sat up and pulled him with her, wrapping her arms around him as tightly she could without hurting him. "I know," she whispered and rubbed his back, "it's not fair." Tears poured from her own eyes.

His grip faltered on her and he laid his head on her shoulder in defeat. "But I'm so tired, Em," Killian whispered.

"Okay," she sniffled, "just close your eyes and take a nap. I'll be right here when you wake up." A promise. One she couldn't keep. "I love you..with every piece of my life." She kissed the side of his head and started humming their wedding song.

"I..love you." A faint whisper and a last goodbye as his chest slowed. His body went slack and she could no more contain her sobs.

Emma held on to his lifeless body for dear life, kissing every inch of his face and coating his tears with her own. It wasn't real. They had gone through so much, only to have it all ripped away from them. It wasn't fair. He was supposed to get his chance at happiness and love and life. Their two years together weren't enough as she cried for everything they wouldn't have: watching Rae grow, having an anniversary, watching their daughter marry, being grandparents, loving each other until a time when death might be acceptable.

"You bastard!" She yelled at his body. "You were supposed to be good at staying alive!" Tears poured down even faster. "I love you and you leave me all alone. This wasn't how it was supposed to end.."

{{Okay, so I'm bawling right now and I can't even write anymore. There are going to be two more chapters I think and maybe an alternate ending if you guys really want one. I'm sorry, I didn't want to do it like this and it felt awful, like my family just died. I honestly love you guys so much and I hope you stick around for the last few chapters and that I didn't make you too mad at me. I love you guys}}