Chapter 17

"Hello lad," Killian said as he saw Henry walk cautiously into the doorway. He was a little confused that he had come as he obviously felt uncomfortable.

"Hi," he said softly and then sat down in a chair next to his mother.

"How's school been going?" He was especially aware of how awful he must've looked.

Henry shrugged, "Alright. I can't wait for spring break."

Emma chuckled and rolled her eyes, "Of course." She turned to Henry, "Are you okay here if I go get some coffee?" He nodded almost unsurely and she stood up. After ruffling his hair, she went to find the cafeteria.

-)(-

Emma stayed down there for around fifteen minutes and then found the room again. She stayed outside and looked in to see Killian talking animatedly about something and Henry looking very interested. Instead of interrupting, she watched them for a while, still not sure of what they were talking about, until Killian caught her eye.

She figured it was time to go in and opened the glass door.

"Spying, are you, lass?"

Emma smiled, "Just watching. What're we talking about?"

"Hook was telling me stories about when he was in the Navy," Henry offered.

"Hopefully nothing too violent."

Killian smiled at her, she noticed some color had returned to his face. "Of course not, lass." He winked at Henry. She felt grateful that they were finally interacting.

Despite the color in his face, she could see how tired he was. Her phone buzzed and she picked it up.

She turned to Henry after reading the text. "It's your mom, she wants to take you out to do something tonight with Robin if you're up to it."

He nodded, "Sure."

"She's downstairs right now, I'll take you there."

"Bye," Henry said to Hook and waved.

"See you, lad."

-)(-

Emma took him down and then went back upstairs to find Killian blankly staring at the wall, he didn't acknowledge that she walked back into the room. She sat down on the side of the bed and ran her hand in front of his face. "What's wrong?"

He finally turned to her and shook his head, "Nothing."

She shrugged, "Fine. You need to eat." There was a table that rolled and came over the bed so she put the bowl of cereal and funnily enough, peanut butter toast, on that and pulled it over to them.

He eyed it warily, "I'm not hungry."

"You have to eat or they're going to put the feeding tube back in," she told him gently. She picked up a piece of toast and pulled an edge off and held it up to his mouth. "For me."

Killian nodded and ate the piece from her fingers.

He picked at the rest of the food until about half was gone and then she stopped pestering him.

Hook sighed and then looked to the wall, "I wish I could just do something for myself or do what I want," he whispered, "and I wish I could shower."

Emma frowned, "They won't let you?"

He shook his head, not looking at her, "No, they come when you're not here and..like..take a cloth and clean me. I just feel so dirty. They're afraid that I'll fall down or fall asleep and drown in the tub."