Chapter XXVI

A week had gone by and Aubrey's father was still in a critical condition. The man hadn't woken up and Aubrey and Carol were terrified. Stacie tried her best to comfort her fiancée and give her reassurance that John would be okay but the longer John was unconscious, the more Aubrey's hope depleted. It was hard watching her fiancée be so upset all the time but Stacie had to be strong and it helped when family and friends came to visit to offer their help and support. Chloe had been down to visit multiple times when she could. It broke her heart to see her best friend so upset but Chloe knew she would have been the same way if it was her own father.

Beca hadn't been down to see the blonde yet but that's what she planned on doing today. She had been so busy with working with Emily and working with the psychologist that she hadn't had time for much else. The artist had been working hard to discover more about herself and learn more as well. It was still difficult doing all of that without Chloe but she was doing it for Chloe, which made it a little easier. She still missed the beautiful redhead daily and it never got easier as the days went on. Chloe was her everything and she wasn't going to let a drunken mistake ruin all that they had built together.

Beca arrived at the hospital around lunchtime where she was directed to John's room immediately. She had informed Stacie and Aubrey that she was coming down to finally see everyone. The pair understood Beca's busy schedule and didn't hold it against her that she couldn't make it so when she could, they were happy.

"He's just in here," the nurse told Beca, holding her hand out to John's room.

"Thank you." Beca nodded and walked into the room carrying flowers and a card.

Beca saw Aubrey, Stacie, and Carol surrounding John who in turn was surrounded by flowers and get well soon cards. It was a rather sad sight to see but what was even sadder is that Chloe was there and that she was with Xavier.

"Becs!" Stacie beamed and made her way over to her best friend where they shared a brief hug.

"Stace," Beca gave her friend a squeeze before pulling away. "How's it going? Aside from the obvious."

"I've been better, really."

"Of course. I brought these," Beca showed her friend the flowers and card.

"Thank you, Becs, I'll put them over here." Stacie took the flowers and card and put them on a table that had some space.

Beca watched her friend then looked over at Chloe who was sitting next to Xavier. It pained Beca to see and she felt rather embarrassed to see both of them so soon but she knew she would have had to have seen them sooner or later.

"How are you going, Aubrey?" Beca stepped over to the blonde.

"How do you think?" She said desolately.

"I'm sorry, and I'm sorry that I didn't come sooner."

"You don't need to apologise, Beca, I know how busy you've been and I get it. It's totally fine." Aubrey gave her a brief smile before looking back at her father.

"How are you holding up, Mrs. Posen?" Beca turned to Carol.

"It's been hard, love, I'm not going to lie. I just have to keep thinking that he's going to pull through. He may wake up tomorrow, he may wake up next month. Who knows? I just have to stay strong for myself and for my family."

"Of course. I'm so sorry this has happened."

"Thank you, Beca. You've always been a caring young woman."

"Thanks," Beca breathed a laugh then took a nervous breath before making her way over to Chloe. "Hey, Chlo,"

Chloe swallowed when Beca called her by that name. It felt like she hadn't been called it in years.