Chapter XXIII

It had been several days since Beca spoke to Chloe and it was hard. Beca was miserable and she couldn't focus properly on anything. When Beca was stressed or going through something tough, she would engross herself in her music and that would help her calm down but it didn't work this time. Nothing made her feel better. The only thing she felt was guilt and it never left her. She had trouble sleeping, eating, and just living life normally. She was absolutely miserable without Chloe and she knew she had no one else to blame but herself.

Chloe was struggling, too, but she was mad at Beca so it made it easier for her to get on with things but that didn't mean that she didn't miss the tiny brunette. Beca and Chloe never fought like this so it was extremely alien and uncomfortable for both of them. Even though she missed Beca, Chloe was able to get on with things that helped her take her mind off of the artist. The model just focused on her Love Is Louder campaign, her modeling, and things surrounding that. It was hard without Beca but Chloe was still hurting so she wasn't interested in interacting with the younger woman.

"So, are you happy with that, BM? Beca? Beca!"

"Huh?" Beca snapped out of her daze when Cynthia-Rose yelled at her.

"Are you happy with that?"

"Happy with what?"

Cynthia-Rose sighed then rubbed her face. "What's going on with you lately?"

"What do you mean?"

"Don't play coy with me, Mitchell. You've been acting weird all week. You're not focused anymore and you don't seem to care either. We're trying to give this Emily girl a contract and you're not interested in it at all!"

"Don't yell at me, okay! I've been going through a lot recently so I'm sorry if I can't be all sunshine and rainbows for you."

"You're never sunshine and rainbows for me and even if you were, it's not about that. What's going on with you because I can't work with you when you're like this."

Beca sighed. "Chloe and I are going through a rough patch at the moment."

"How rough?"

"She wanted a break from our relationship."

"Oh..."

"Yeah,"

"Oh... Shit, I'm... I'm sorry, BM... That's tough."

"You're telling me."

"That's never happened before, has it?"

"Not even close."

"What happened?"

"I fucked up big time. I... I got drunk on her birthday and said some things that I shouldn't have said and... well, now I'm wondering whether or not she still wants to be with me."

"Becs, of course she still wants to be with you."

"I'm sure she does," she utters sarcastically.

"She does. She just wants a break that's all."

"Yeah, I know what happens to people who go on breaks - they actually break up. I... I just couldn't keep it together for one night. One damn night and that night happened to be Chloe's birthday." Beca tried not to get angry at herself but she couldn't help it.

"I know it doesn't seem like it, but Chloe still loves you BM."

"Does she?"

"Of course she does. She's just hurting and she needs some time."

"For what?  What does she need time for? To think about whether or not if she wants to break up with me?"

"No! She just needs time to stop hurting. She's obviously hurt badly so she needs time alone to recuperate and heal and she can't do that with you. It's like when you argue and you two don't want to be near each other for a little while and once you're ready you come back together, make up, and move on. This is the same thing just a bit more severe."