Chapter XXVII

Another week had gone by and it was draining for everyone. The days got longer and longer and it seemed as if happiness was a distant memory. Stacie was physically and mentally exhausted. She got up early to go to the hospital and went home late from the hospital. All of her time and energy went into Aubrey who seemed to get more emotional and distant each day. Thankfully, Chloe was able to help out in supporting Aubrey and her family. The model also went to the lengths of inviting Fat Amy, Bumper, Jesse, Benji, and even Emily over to support Aubrey. The blonde was ever so thankful and it did make things easier for her and Stacie.

"I don't know how much longer I can be there," Beca uttered as she and Chloe were out getting lunch for everyone again.

Beca always volunteered to go out and get things for others since being in John's room with Aubrey and her family was depressing.

"I know, babe, but we've got to be there for Bree."

"I know she's upset about her dad and all but I don't really get why."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean the guy's an asshole. He's done nothing but criticise her relationship with Stacie and even said that he wouldn't attend their wedding! As far as I'm concerned, he got what was coming to him."

"Beca!"

"I know it's bad but think about it, Chlo, John has always been a stick in the mud and has always looked down on his daughter. I've never seen him happy for her. I don't even think he's capable of a smile."

"He hasn't always looked down on her. Remember, he's a military man so being gentle and affectionate isn't something that he knows well. He knows discipline, order, rules, and authority. That's why Aubrey's the way that she is. Thankfully, she's toned herself down a lot ever since she started dating Stacie."

"Really? You think that she's toned down a lot?" Beca laughed.

"Yes, I do. If you think she's bad now you should have seen her before."

"Well, I saw a little bit of her when we started working together."

"Aubrey was like a clone of her father and when things didn't go her way she'd puke."

"Puke?" Beca frowned.

"Yeah, it was a control thing. She had to be in control all the time and when someone or something didn't go the way she wanted it to, she'd lose it and she'd throw up - everywhere."

"Gross... I'm glad that's never happened when I'm around."

"Oh, trust me, she's come close. Thankfully, Stacie has toned her down a lot so she's learned to let things go and not be so bossy and controlling all the time."

"Well, I just hope Stacie knows what she's getting into because she's got a lot of work to do."

Chloe chuckled. "She does, but I don't think it'd be as hard as you think."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because she loves her and when you love someone it's easier."

"So it must be a walk in the park for you then?"

Chloe laughed again. "Not all the time." The redhead kissed Beca's cheek then walked into the diner where she ordered everyone's meals.

Beca sat in a booth while she waited and began flicking through her emails until she heard her name being called out.

"Beca!"

The brunette looked up and saw a familiar face.

"Collins?"