Chapter 67

Tris

After the interrogations are finished and Cara is allowed to sit down at one of the benches in the first row, Niles steps aside and Jack comes into view again. He waits until the Candor around him have fallen quiet again and then begins to speak.

"People of Chicago, you have witnessed with your own eyes in those last two hours what was going on in the midst of our society. We're lucky we were able to gather today to listen to those confessions instead of going through the reality of it.

Changes will have to be discussed to avoid a conspiracy like this to ever take place again. All factions will have to talk to each other and contribute what's necessary to lead our city into a better and more stable future. It is the only place we call home, it is our responsibility to take care of it the best way that we can.

I invite all the faction leaders to a meeting tomorrow. Bring along a few members of your factions, let's listen to them, too. Everyone is requested to share ideas.

As a result of today's interrogations, we have a list full of names of people who supported the illegal activities of Jeanine, Max and Eric. It will be our next task to find and arrest them. I'm sure they have gone into hiding as soon as they heard of the imprisonment of their leaders. It'll be a task in which we all will have to work together, and then they'll have to face the consequences for their actions.

The sentences for the accused conspirators we've questioned today will be announced tomorrow.

Last but not least, we will have to talk about the young heroes who solved this situation with courage, intelligence and tactics. But, most of all, it was an act of teamwork that resulted in the peacekeeping of our city. Without their trust and reliance in each other, we wouldn't be standing here today.

As the leader of Candor, I believe in honesty, and in people telling the truth to each other. With this in mind, we will let two of this group, who called themselves the Allegiant, have their say."

My heart beats heavily as Jack steps aside and a video of me starts playing. It was made during my interrogation under truth serum. I should be irritated by all the faces that turn towards me, by the voices that start mumbling around me, but the only thing I can focus on is the words I'm saying in this video. I remember everything I said in Candor, and everything Tobias said. A lot of it was never meant to leave that room. Christina puts an arm around my shoulders and whispers soothingly into my ear that I shouldn't worry, that the truth will let everybody know what we were willing to risk for the people in our city.

But inside my head, there are only a few words whirling around, spinning faster and faster.

Divergent. Tobias Eaton. Marcus. Abuse. Evelyn. Factionless.

I only start to relax when I realize the video has been cleverly edited by Candor. They cut out the critical parts that could put us in danger or reveal something too private about us, and instead just follow the Allegiant's actions we described for them. They picked scenes from both me and Tobias and put them together chronologically. Because the video alternates between Tobias' and my interview, it doesn't come to anyone's attention that something is missing.

"They cut out a few things," I whisper to Christina, and I see her realization about what I was specifically scared about when she sees my worried expression and also her deep surprise at the revelation that Candor would cut out anything at all.

We keep watching, rooted to the spot, until the video is over and Jack says goodbye and leaves probably everyone in Chicago with a lot of things to think about.