Chapter 65

Special thanks @lbc2lbg for inspiring one of Tobias' lines with her comment on the last chapter!

____________________________________________

Tris

Tobias asks Caleb if he wants to go to help Zeke set up the stage after we've finished our breakfast.

"You think I'd be of any help to him?"

"You helped us a lot yesterday, so why not?" Tobias encourages him.

"Cause I'm not good with stuff like that."

It's the first time I hear Caleb say that he's not good at something. I used to believe that he thought he was good at everything.

"See, Zeke can instruct you. I'm sure there is something you can do to help. Just tell him I sent you and that you want to make yourself useful."

"You think? Well, I'm a fast learner," Caleb states proudly and gets up. "Can I leave you to do the dishes?"

"No problem, we'll come down to the pit to watch the interrogations at noon," I say.

"Alright, then I'll see you later."

As soon as he's out of the door, I turn to Tobias.

"You're being mean, you know? Poor Zeke is gonna pay it back to you, that's sure," I laugh.

We both know that while Caleb might be very intelligent, he's not talented at construction.

"I just couldn't stop myself, Zeke has been teasing me constantly since we've become friends, so it's only fair if I tease him a little in return."

I shake my head in amusement while Tobias refills our cups with coffee.

"Right now you sound more like Uriah."

"That's because I'm traumatized. Your brother just tried to give me a sex talk."

I can't suppress a giggle as I imagine Caleb trying to play the protective brother - and that while talking about a topic he's absolutely awkward with.

"Hey, don't laugh!" Tobias nudges my side. "It was very serious!"

"Was it?"

"Yes, indeed, it was." He starts grinning. "He reminded me of how we both were at the beginning of our relationship, when we tried to talk about sex. Oh, he was even more awkward, if that's possible. You know which words he used for 'sex'?"

I shake my head. I have a few ideas, though.

"He referred to it as 'intercourse' first, and then he used 'the act of physical bonding'."

"Wow, the last one is almost philosophic," I laugh.

"I was almost expecting him to use the word 'coitus' next," Tobias adds, smiling.

"I'm glad we learned how to talk about this with each other and can laugh about it now," I admit and take Tobias' hand on the table.

"Me too, I can assure you," he says and gives my hand a little squeeze.

We enjoy each other's presence in silence for a bit until I can no longer ignore all the things I still don't know about yesterday. I should know what happened before the interrogations begin, but I'm reluctant to ask Tobias for the details he hasn't told me yet. It's only going to make me aware of the stress and pressure I put on him and my friends. Perhaps it's a good thing that there's only an hour left for us to talk.