Chapter 43

It's been 42 chapters so far.

42 chapters that all somehow lead to this.

Thank you all for your support and your encouraging words. It means so much to me.

I really hope you like how it has turned out, it's probably the most-edited chapter of the entire story... By the way, it's m-rated ;-) Enjoy reading!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tobias

I've just lighted the second candle when Tris' key turns in my door. I look up and into her eyes. She holds my gaze, and the love speaking out of hers makes me want to pull her close and never let her go. Three large steps and I am with her, and we hold each other so tightly it almost hurts.

"Congratulations, Tris. You made it. I'm so damn proud of you."

"I wouldn't have made it without my instructor," she smiles.

"Do I know him?" I ask jokingly.

She takes a step back and shrugs. "Maybe I'll present him to you one day."

"How generous of you," I chuckle.

I look into her eyes and run my thumbs over her hands as our laughter subsides. Neither of us seems to know what to do next, how to start.

I swallow and clear my throat. "Are you... are you nervous?"

Her eyebrows turn up slightly. "How could I not be? Aren't you?"

"You can't imagine how much." I take a deep breath. "You know we don't have to do it tonight, we can take all the time we want now," I say softly.

Finally, we don't have to worry any longer about that. Finally, the decision is fully hers. And I want her to know that it is, to make sure she knows I'll wait for her if she needs more time.

"But I don't want to wait any longer," Tris whispers, and then she leads me to my bed where she motions me to sit down.

She smiles lovingly as she steps in between my legs, cups my face with both her small hands and kisses me unhurriedly. Eventually, she breaks the kiss and just stands there for a moment with her eyes locked to mine.

"It's not because of initiation," she says, her voice steady as she pushes her jacket off her shoulders.

"It's not because I want to get rid of a simulation."

There goes her sweatshirt.

"It's not because I want to get over my fear. I don't need that. Not anymore."

Her top.

"I'm not afraid."

She unclasps her bra and slides it down her arms.

"I want to sleep with you tonight simply because I love you, and it's the only reason I have."

My heart races and my palms are sweaty as I swallow the lump in my throat.

"It's because you believed in me, even when I did not."

She pulls my sweatshirt over my head.

"It's because you never pushed me,"— my shirt —, "and understood why I wasn't ready to go all the way with you earlier."

She undoes the buttons of her pants one by one, still standing right in front of me.

"It's because you rather wanted to become factionless with me than to have sex with me for the wrong reasons."