Chapter 33: Wednesday, 3 days until initiation

Tobias

"... and I'm going to meet Johanna early today, so she can pass me the serum," I finish the report on my visit to Amity. Everyone is happy that this part of the plan worked out so far. I'll be even happier when I'll be holding the serum in my own hands later.

Zeke slaps me on the back, "Well done. And I'll see what I can find out about the device you brought with you."

Then the conversation turns to the development of the anti-serum. Will sneaked Cara into our compound early this morning, as she insisted on participating. She tells us that she believes in Caleb's idea, and that they've already started working on it, but she also tells us that she doesn't fully trust Caleb.

"It's just strange that he came up with the idea so quickly and that he knew about the control serum at all. Even I only knew rumors, and I'm a member. I really want to know where he got his knowledge from and how he already knew about it before you told him, Tris."

I watch the two girls stare at each other, and so do the others. Cara is right. She gives the impression of being trustworthy after all, although she's not very charming. But she's convincing. I'm sure Tris is thinking feverishly about what she has said, in order to come up with an explanation, and I wonder if she will.

"Okay, I'll try to find out. But until we have any kind of proof that Caleb is lying, I'm going to trust my brother."

I'm surprised by her answer. It's not what I was expecting. Obviously she sees the reasons for Cara's doubts, too.

"And how are you planning to do that?"

Cara's voice becomes accusing, and I don't like that. I clench my fists, so it's easier for me to restrain from interfering in this conversation. Tris can speak for herself, and I have to let her, even if it's difficult for me.

"I'm going to meet my mom and ask her how she found out about the serum. That'll help us figure out how Caleb knew," she answers coldly.

"Your mother is in Abnegation," Cara replies, and I dig my nails deeper into my palms.

Tris jumps up from her chair.

"So what? You think she's part of a conspiracy that will result in the extinction of her own faction?" she spits at Cara, her eyes full of fury now.

"Easy, girls, easy," Zeke interrupts their fight. As if that was necessary...

Tris refuses to sit down again, apparently too angry to do so. Instead, she and Cara continue staring each other down while our group decides to wait until Tris has spoken to her mother before we pass any peace serum or blood samples over to Caleb.

Cara continues, "You know, I'm going to help you as much as I can. I think it's possible to produce a vaccine. But, as you're not Erudite, which is quite obvious by the way, I have to warn you: If Caleb, for any reason, is working against us, he could help accelerate the development of a better control serum by passing Divergent's blood to the scientists in the lab. It's just what they might need to improve their invention, so that it could possibly work on Divergents as well."

"He wouldn't do that!" Tris snaps at Cara, but I know her brain is Erudite enough to at least think it through and have a serious conversation with her mother later.

The mood is tense and doesn't change until the end of our meeting. We agree that Tris and I meet with Cara again in the late afternoon to decide if we give the blood and serum to Caleb or not. The others trust us with that decision, and we have little other options anyway, as Zeke points out to us matter-of-factly.

We all leave the apartment one by one, each of us taking their own way to the cafeteria for breakfast. I'm worried how Tris is going to manage meeting her mother. It won't be easy for her to sneak into Abnegation. I hope she'll get there without being seen and manages to get the answers we need.