Chapter 56: Thursday, 5 days after initiation

Tris

Unlike all the other times I've come up here, even at night, the roof now doesn't feel like a place where I can breathe freely and find peace of mind.

On the contrary, I feel exposed as I step outside. The darkness is blinding my sight instead of embracing me, the thin line of light that dawn is painting onto the horizon is threatening instead of calming. I'm running out of time. If I want to carry through with what I want to do, I have to do it now, before everyone else wakes up. Before Tobias wakes up.

Pain and guilt shoot through me as I think of him. I know he'll feel betrayed, but I need to keep him safe, him and Caleb. The others need his guidance to take Jeanine, Max and Eric down, and my brother needs me, and now. I hope I can still be of any help from the inside.

"Tris?"

I'm startled at hearing my name.

This voice doesn't belong to a stranger. I turn around to face him.

Tobias

I slowly drift from sleep to reality. I turn around and extend my arm to pull Tris close to me. But my hand reaches into nothingness.

As I open my eyes, I see that she's not there. Probably she wasn't able to sleep anymore. It wouldn't surprise me, she was worried sick about her brother.

I listen for a sound from her, but there's no running water, no rummaging in the kitchen, nothing. Just silence.

Maybe she went to her apartment to avoid waking me up. I smile. She can be so thoughtful, although I wouldn't mind if she woke me up. I'd be willing to comfort her anytime.

I stretch my arms above my head as I stifle a yawn. It wasn't a very relaxing night. I could need a little more rest.

My eyes fall on the nightstand and on the three things placed there: Caleb's communicator, a small video player I have never seen before and a piece of paper that says 'password: ANCBADE, I'm going to send you a message soon, I love you, Tris'.

Tris

"What are you doing up here?" I ask as he walks towards me.

"I couldn't sleep. Neither could you, hmm?"

"Not very much, no. You startled me."

"I'm sorry. So what are we going to do?"

"I don't have enough time to talk about that now."

"What do you mean?"

"I need to catch the train."

He frowns. "You need to catch the train? Alone?"

"There's something I need to do."

"Okay, now you make me curious. How about I get on that train with you, and you tell me what this is about?"

"Deal. But just because it's you!"

Tobias

I'm out of breath when I reach the top of the stairs and stumble outside. The pale light of dawn illuminates the roof. In the distance, I spot the train which follows a bend in the tracks and disappears out of sight.

Damn!

I have no idea if it takes Tris with it or not. Where is she? I start to panic, I have no idea where to look for her next.