A Long Way From Home

AN: Chapter twenty seven folks. Bella is working those wing muscles, but some of us forget she's still human and needs breaks. :-)  I also changed her wingspan to 14 feet. What are you're guy's opinions on wingspan? Just keep in mind the flock have large wings, and in the books I think Max's were 15 feet or so.

>|<>|<>|<

We traveled for a bit, and the conversation died down as they focused on their feet and I focused on my wings. I tried to glide, but after getting too close to the ground on the third try, I gave up. I was just flying too low, and that was something meant for the sky, not below the treetops.

I was starting to feel the strain of flying so low though. Down here, gravity pulled me so harshly, and there was no chance to rest my wings in air currents.

Edward eventually noticed.

"Need a break?" he asked. "Its a long trip, and you shouldn't strain yourself this early in."

I smiled slightly at his concern for me.

"I think that would be good. I never really realized how you guys don't have to take breaks," I said, thinking of their unlimited stamina.

"Then hop on," he chuckled, coming to a stop and offering his back.

Up ahead, the rest of his family stopped as well.

I landed beside him before going behind him and wrapping my arms around his neck. Then I jumped up, wrapping my legs around his waist. Edward grasped my knees, holding me to him.

"Hold on," he said, before he began moving.

Around us, the trees began blurring with his fast speed. It was then that I realized he'd been holding back when I was flying. I'd been flying at my fastest, and yet he was faster.

"You've been holding back," I accused him playfully.

Edward laughed.

"I couldn't let precious cargo fall behind, now could I? Besides, it was clear that you were putting your all into flying," he murmured.

"In that case... you're forgiven," I teased.

Edward just chuckled, and around me I could hear his family laughing as well.

Night fell, and the family stopped for me to rest and eat on the high overreaching branches of a tree. Esme and Carlisle left for fifteen minutes to fetch me a footlong sandwich and some soda from the Walmart in the town nearby.

It was a relief not to flap my wings or focus on clinging to Edward. Not that I had any complaints on clinging to Edward, I just feared that I'd fall off him.

That night, I fell asleep with the stars above and my head in Edward's lap, remembering what had been said just moments before.

"Have you ever fallen out of a tree while sleeping?" Edward had asked.

I'd laughed. Trust Edward to ask me something like that.

"As amusing as that would be... no I have never fallen out of a tree while sleeping. I guess it's just a part bird thing," I'd informed him with a smirk.

"Good. I'd hate to think what could've happened to you," he'd muttered, but I'd been able to see the relief in his eyes.

My dreams that night were peaceful. Well, mostly peaceful. They ended with erasers finding us, all of us running, the school doing experiments on the Cullens and me, and lastly the Volturi killing us. I woke gasping, feeling an inch from death itself, my fast birdkid heart pounding in my chest.

Luckily I didn't talk in my sleep that night, but Edward was alerted all the same by my gasps and heartbeat.

"Are you alright?" he asked frantically.

I nodded slowly, my head still resting in his lap.

"Yea, just a horrid dream," I said, pressing my hand over my heart.

"Do you want to talk about it?" he inquired, stroking my hair.

"No," I said. "Where's breakfast?"

"I'll go get some," he murmured; and that was the end of that.