Safe For Now

AN: Chapter ten! This one is a long one. Enjoy my fellow readers.

>|<>|<>|<

I took a deep breath in and got to my feet.

"Can you explain what just happened?" Carlisle asked.

I nodded my head as I thought back to the times it'd happened in the past.

"Basically the urge to escape just got to be too much. My flight instinct took over. It's happened in the past at the lab. I'd try and flee, they'd go after me and tie me down to experiment on me," I told them.

"Every time?" Rosalie asked concerned.

I was surprised at her change in attitude. I smiled grimly.

"Every time," I confirmed. I looked straight at her golden eyes then looked at Carlisle. "So, tell me more about vampires."

"Well, we drink animal blood but the majority drinks human blood. We're sorta rare to come by," he informed me.

A part of me needed to hear that. I relaxed and folded my wings up inside my windbreaker. I was safe, for now.

"What else?" I asked with a smile on my face.

"We're impossibly strong and fast. We can leap over rivers and right now I can hear the cars going past us on the highway," Edward said this time.

I turned to Edward with an eyebrow raised.

"How fast?" I asked, wondering if he was faster than me flying.

"In the blink of an eye any of us can be on the other side of the house," Jasper said with a cocky smirk.

I laughed. That was way faster than me.

Alice leaned toward me.

"How fast can you go?" she asked me with a coy smile.

"Three hundred fifty miles at most," I sighed dreamily. I loved flying. I adored free falling.

"That's fast," Emmett said and he cracked his knuckles. "But not as fast as Eddie there." Emmett nodded toward Edward.

I rose my eyebrows. I was sure I was going to enjoy living with the Cullens. Everyday would never be repeated twice—that's how I felt it would be.

"How often do you guys have to... feed?" I struggled to find the right word for them drinking blood.

"Every two weeks," Esme said. She looked at me kindly. "You don't have to worry. We won't hurt you."

"Unless an accident happens," Jasper threw in.

So I was safe for now. That was better than being safe on the occasion. And now that I had such a strong family to back me up—allies—I tried not to worry about erasers. That'd happen when it did.

Safe.

It was so hard to believe that it could be true.