Surprise Visit

AN: Hello! First off I'd like to apologize if the story seems rushed. Keep in mind that the only thing in canon really is the character names, descriptions and places. I'm not following canon much, just winging it. Also, I apologize if Edward doesn't murmur as much as he should. I'll get on that some. Lastly, I'll probably only be updating every few days. I have... school, birds, homework, reading and much more going on. But I'll try to fit several paragraphs a day into my schedule. Thanks for reading, and enjoy the chapter!

>|<>|<>|<

I looked at the seven vampires. Still and silent, the equivalent of a statue. I turned to my boyfriend and waved my fingers in front of his face. He didn't even blink.

"Well," I sighed.

The Cullen's stupor was broken with my next words.

"So to sum this all up, this disease turns your insides into a slushy bloody mess of unbearable, white hot agony, and then tries to spread itself in any and all means possible?" I said sardonically.

Edward finally moved from his frozen position and looked at me. His face was shocked, horrified. I immediately hugged him.

"It'll all be okay, you'll see," I said comfortingly. "I have a feeling that the End is starting."

Edward pulled back sharply, looking at me. His wasn't shocked or horrified anymore, just confused. "The End Bella? What are you talking about?"

"Jeb Batchelder is Maximum Ride's father. When I was at the School he would bring me into his office and talk to me about things. One of the things was the End. He told me about how the world would end, but that I would be okay because I was created to survive it," I stopped and studied Edwards face again. His was open, curious for more of my tale. I had officially distracted him.

"Go on, my love. Describe this end he was talking about," Edward murmured.

I took a deep breath, then let it out.

"He said that while everyone around me would cease to be, there would be others like me, that I would band with. I think he was talking about the flock. Anyways, he said not to fear it, because I was naturally immune. Something about my avian and human DNA combined together that prevents me from catching it. Though that's if it doesn't mutate to effect me..." I trailed off into my thoughts, thinking about the ramifications of me catching the virus.

But I perked up, I was here and now with Edward. We were save on the island, at least until the Cullen's had to hunt.

"Its still so horrible. Everyone dying... in a violent way. Vampires will go crazy from bloodlust, attacking anything with a beating heart, until they grow too weak to even move," Edward murmured back.

Carlisle looked at Edward.

"You're right son. It won't be very safe for Bella for a while. For several months after every human is gone. I wish I could help, but I don't want to do anything that risks the virus from making its way to here," Carlisle said, sighing and running his hands through his hair.

"What do you see Alice?" Rosalie asked, turning to her sister.

Alice closed her eyes, pressing her face into her palms. She looked both worried and saddened.

"I see death, everywhere. Nothing compares to it. Everyone we've ever known, dead. Animals catching the virus after it mutated and leaving us with only one other food source... fish blood. The Volturi, brought down to their knees from starvation." Alice looked up from her hands and looked at the entirety of her family. "We'll have to live by the sea in order to survive. I don't know why, but fish aren't affected. We'll get by okay, but it could be a long, long time until there is other creatures walking on land."

Jasper grimaced, ""At least we don't have to worry about the Volturi anymore."

Emmett laughed. "They're goners for sure!"

Rosalie rolled her eyes at her bear of a husband and smacked him on the back of his head.

"Oww, Rosie!" Emmett griped.

"That's not very nice Emmett," Esme scolded, looking at her son.

Edward sighed, resting his head against mine. I considered everything that had happened in order to come to this point.

"Sorry mom," Emmett said, clearly sucking up to the matriarch of the coven.

"We'll take you're and Alice's words to heart, Bella," Esme said comfortingly. "We'll be okay."

"Yes, we will," I murmured, and I realized in that moment that I would kill for this family, in order to protect them.

>|<>|<>|<

A day passed. I was sitting on the beach, enjoying the afternoon sun with Edward. He stroked my hair back from my face and leaned in. His breath exhaled against my face, and I smelled the scent that was distinctly Edward. Sunshine, honeysuckle, and sandalwood soap. I inhaled his scent like it was the nectar of the gods, and there was nothing truer, at least in my eyes.

Just as he was about to kiss me, I heard the familiar whirl, whirl of helicopter blades. I stood, hands out to brace myself as the wind battered me, sending sand flying everywhere. I snapped my wings out, ready to take flight if this turned out badly. My jacket and hair flew up with the wind. The helicopter slowly lowered down on to the beach.

I was distracted for a second as the rest of the Cullen's rushed out of the house to join us. Then I focused on the helicopter. A man was seated in the front of the helicopter. He hopped out and walked over to me, holding his hand out.

"You must be Bella, first avian human hybrid to exist," he said smoothly.

I just stared at him and his hand, not quite sure I could trust him.

"I'm Nino Pierpont," he continued.

I blinked in response.

"Why are you here?" were the words to escape my lips.

Nino chuckled. I frowned, what was so funny?

"To take you to the safe haven for hybrids, of course!" He waved his hand at the helicopter, then looked to the Cullens, their skin refracting the light of the sun. "Your friends are more then welcome to come."