Horrors Upon Horrors

AN: Here's the next chapter! I'm so sorry for not updating, I had a major case of writers block and no internet, but I'm back!

>|<>|<>|<

The next morning I woke up bright and early to go for a fly. Edward wanted to fly too, and I knew I couldn't stop him, so he came along. There's nothing quite like flying, like the feeling of having the wind caressing every single feather. Like being up high, and seeing the island from the eye of a bird. I love, love, love it, and it thrills me that Edward is taking to the sky as well.

There is plenty that Edward and I need to talk about, like his time in the School and our future together. But right now? We just needed to feel aloft in the sky. I skipped out the door, Edward chuckling behind me. In the house, I could hear everyone going about their daily life, but outside? I could hear the wind, the ocean crashing against the shore, and the parrots chirping and singing.

Yes, that's right; the Cullens had parrots on their little homey abode of an island. I could hear their calls yesterday, and had wanted to see them. I bee lined in that direction, wanting to say good morning to my fellow bird cousins. After all, I am part bird. What better then to make myself known to the local flock?

"Where are you going?" Edward asked as he matched my pace step for step.

"The parrots," I responded, following the calls.

"Ah," he said in understanding. "I know where they are, follow me," he murmured.

I did, looking around me in curiosity at the new surroundings. Palm trees lined the beach, with various kinds of other trees lining the forest on the island. It was really breathtaking, not to mention huge. One wouldn't think that arriving by boat, but by sky it was much bigger, being able to see more and all that.

Just ahead there was a break in the trees, and then we were in a clearing with various kinds of parrots flying around. Mostly Macaws but there was a few African Greys and Cockatoos.

"Oh my god," I said in stunned silence. Then, "It's awesome!" I took off and landed in a tree with a nest of baby Hyacinth Macaws. I was in awe of their blue plumage.

Edward joined me and looked in the nest. His eyes gleamed at seeing the baby birds.

"The mother is mine," He said fondly. He then held his arm out and whistled before saying, "Blue, come!"

The mama bird lifted her head and looked at him, before flying to perch on his arm.

"I missed you Blue," he said and scratched at her head.

She tilted her head and closed her eyes.

"How old is she?" I asked curiously.

"Twenty years," he said thoughtfully. "I hand fed her when she was born because her mother passed from health issues. She bonded to me and I to her."

I watched Edward with Blue and I couldn't deny that they were tightly bonded.

"Can I hold her?" I asked him.

Edward looked up at me.

"Of course," he said.

He grasped my forearm in his hand and held it up to Blue's chest. She stepped up and peered closely at me.

"Hi cousin," I said, grinning.

"Blue, meet Bella, my mate. Bella, meet Blue, my Hyacinth Macaw," he said, his eyes crinkling at the corners before his crooked smile came into place.

After Edward said that Blue seemed to study me with a new intensity.

"Can she understand us?" I asked him, seeing him watching Blue.

"Yes, she can also talk. Though she might not do so because you're a stranger in her eyes." Edward moved so that he was pressed into my side. The familiar coldness filled my heart with warmth.

We spent a few hours with the parrots before heading back to the main house. The Cullens were settled around the tv, watching the current news. Edward stayed by my side and as I sat down, he wrapped his arm around me. Jasper let out a low whistle and I turned to look at the southern vampire.

Deciciding to actually pay attention to the news, I focused my attention on the TV. I was shocked at what I saw and heard.

"Deaths tolls by the thousands. People are dropping left and right by this mysterious illness that has suddenly swamped the earth. People are being warned to stay away from the sick and stay in their homes; as the disease is highly contagious.

"Now onto Lacey on how the virus spreads," The tv reporter changed from a blonde female onto a black haired woman.

"The toxin is first inhaled and moves through the lungs, causing a slight cough and, in some cases, a rash. The cells multiply, creating internal fissures in the organs and hemorrhaging into the bloodstream. A short time later, boils appear on the skins surface. When the boils burst, the wounds weep, shedding billions of the highly contagious cells and infecting, basically, anyone in the vicinity. At this point, with so many open sores secreting contagion, the victim will likely develop a staph infection that will quickly progress to necrotizing fasciitis, literally rotting the skin off the body in a matter of days."

Stunned silence, from both me and the Cullens.

What Jeb had said to me so long ago, when I'd been in the school once, was true. The world was ending, violently.

"Its so much worse than I could have ever thought," I whispered.