Realising Feelings

AN: Chapter eleven. Comment and vote please.

>|<>|<>|<

The rest of the day passed by uneventful. I learned more from the Cullens about vampires, and they learned more about me. As night fell, Edward showed me to the room I'd be staying in. Apparently it was a guest room, but now it was mine. I was glad, it'd been a long time since I had a proper roof over my head.

I was left to get ready for bed. I grabbed a pair of pyjamas from the dresser and changed in the bathroom connected to the bedroom. After I was finished, I stood staring at myself in the mirror.

What had brought me to this? How had the fates changed hands? I try to be normal and I get so much more. Part of me was happy, and the other part was wondering what I was getting myself into. Especially with the Cullens being vampires. Especially with Edward paying so much attention to me.

What was the saying? If a boy pays attention to you then it means he likes you.

Did Edward like me that way? The bigger question was did I like him that way? He was kind, funny, caring and so much more. I hoped our friendship would turn out to be more, because I realized I did like him that way. Honest.

I decided to go to bed, it was getting late. I dreamed happy dreams, of Edward and I getting together, of me having a happily ever after.

>|<>|<>|<

I got up early the next morning to get ready for school. As I showered and dressed—I've never been so clean in my life—I thought about my newly discovered feelings of Edward. This could work out, but there was a bigger chance of him rejecting me. I sighed and tried not to think about that.

I skipped downstairs, thinking about what I wanted for breakfast. Being part bird meant I ate a lot, so I was hoping there was plenty. When I entered the kitchen, there was heaps of food sitting on the dining table. I looked up to see Esme with a sheepish smile.

"I didn't know what you liked, so I made a little of everything," Esme said.

"This is great, thanks!" I said, enthusiastic. I sat down at the table and dug in.

I couldn't wait for school... and I sure hoped someday Edward would return my feelings.

After I was finished I ran up the stairs to grab my pack, only for Alice to block me.

"Here," she said, handing me a blue backpack. It was heavy. "I put everything you'll need in there. School supplies and all."

"Thanks," I said. I was grateful for this family's generosity.

I headed back downstairs and meeted up with the rest of the Cullens by the front door.

"Ready?" Edward asked me.

I nodded.

"Yes," I said.

I was more than ready to face the stares and whispers that would come from everyone.